Jack Parlabane is a Glaswegian journalist, returning from LA to Edinburgh after narrowly escaping an attempt on his life. Finding himself locked out with the hangover from hell, he heads for the flat below, hoping to climb up through their window. Instead he discovers what could be the biggest case of his career, not to mention the weirdest.
This book contains examples of:
- Dr. Jerk: It's implied that Jeremy was one of these, since Sarah said he seemed to lack real empathy for patients' suffering.
- Heroes Want Redheads: Sarah. Would be a case of Even the Girls Want Her too but mooted since Jenny already swings that way.
- M.D. Envy: Sarah is an anaesthetist, and has several rants in the book about arrogant surgeons, and people who are surprised to learn that one needs to be a doctor to practice anaesthesia.
- Arrogant, but more often bloody slow, surgeons often get a lot of stick off them. Especially the ones who are daft enough to think that the gas man's only job is to make the patient stay still.
- Politically Incorrect Villain: Lime:"He knew you had to watch what you said these days, and they were elected members and all, but there was still something very wrong when the finest of Englishmen could be spoken to like that by blacks and Jews."