Prince Cinders is a 1987 book by British childrens author Babette Cole.
In this Fractured Fairy Tale retelling of Cinderella, Prince Cinders leads a hard life, bullied by his three big hairy brothers who leave him to do the cleaning while they head off to the Palace Disco with their glamorous princess girlfriends. Then one Saturday night a small, very dirty fairy arrives on the scene, promising that all his wishes will come true. But unfortunately for Prince Cinders, not all the fairy's spells turn out exactly as planned...
It received an Animated Adaptation in 1993.
- Ascended Extra: Princess Lovelypenny. In the book, she only meets Cinders briefly before he turns back into a human, whereas in the Animated Adaptation, the disco Cinders wishes to attend is stated to be for her specifically, and she and Cinders spend some time talking to each other before he returns to normal.
- Big Brother Bully: Cinders' brothers. More so in the Animated Adaptation.
- Fairy Godmother: An inept one.
- Fractured Fairy Tale
- Gender Flip: Of Cinderella, naturally.
- Inept Mage: The fairy.
- Rescue Romance: Well, Lovelypenny THINKS that Cinders rescued her from the ape.
- Talking Animal: Zipper the cat becomes this in the Animated Adaptation, thanks to the fairy.
- The Man Who Fits These Trousers
- The Hero's Birthday: Most of the story takes place on the night of Cinders' birthday.
- When the Clock Strikes Twelve