Pharmakembru is a Medical Horror series written by Monos D.O.A.
The first book, Pharmakembru: The Face focuses on a kid named Alex, who finds strange wrinkles on their stomach during their 10th birthday. At first, they try putting lotion on, but it doesn't work. Almost a year later, the wrinkles morph into a face. Alex spends the rest of the book hiding the face (dubbed 'Sister') from everyone else while trying to maintain their sanity.
Now with a work-in-progress character page!
Considering that genres attached, there will be events included that some may find creepy or disturbing.
Viewer discretion is advised, though not recommended.
Pharmakembru shows example of:
- All-Loving Hero: Alex, who was friendly with everyone and even wanted to keep 'Sister' as a pet, which turned out to be a bad choice.
- Ambiguous Gender: Alex's gender is discussed once, but never outright stated.
- Body Horror: Sister. Starts out as some bumpy, veiny wrinkles on Alex's stomach, which start feeling itchy, stiff and sore. Within a year, they turn into a face, which Alex needs to feed and care for for the rest of their life.
- Canada Does Not Exist: Completely averted. The Face states actual places (New River Beach, St. John), showing that the story is set in New Brunswick, Canada.
- Canada, Eh?: Played with. The story is set in Canada, but specifically takes place in Saint John, New Brunswick, and focuses on the flavour of the Maritime Region over that of the whole country.
- Portent of Doom: black dogs, from Atlantic Canadian superstition.
- The Power of Friendship: Played with in several ways. Alex invokes it successfully with Paddy when he freaks out and runs away when Ciera and Samuel want to hold his mask pendent. In a Call-Back to this moment, an older Paddy tries to invoke it with an older Alex, who brushes him off.