Phaeton is a written Internet series by Trayen Kelly.
A young descendant of an ancient alien race is granted the powers of the osmosoul, which he seeks to know about as much as possible. The new osmovessel explores an insane alternate reality where Differently Powered Individuals are everywhere, the world takes all sorts of reactions to them, and an ancient prophecy which no one person is allowed to know slowly unfolds in front of him.
This novel provides examples of:
- Brought Down to Normal: The Bounds children all burn out their powers at the end of series 1.
- Disability Immunity: Siren's blindness protects her from gorgons.
- Disability Superpower: After being blinded in series 1, Sierra gains the ability to 'see' using her senses of hearing, smell, touch and even taste.
- I See Dead People: Lalita Necron can see and hear dead people. This extends to being able to recognize vampires and other corporeal undead by seeing the exposed part of them (fangs, scars, that spot where their heart was violently ripped out and shown to them before they died) glowing brightly.
- Kaleidoscope Hair: Graces hair color changes almost every night, and interestingly enough she never seems to use dye. It even blends multiple colors together.
- Marked Change: When the Phaetonians start using their non passive abilities, their tribal markings will glow, the more powerful the ability the brighter the glow, if the ability is used for an extended length of time the markings will fade until a stronger power is used.
- Power Incontinence: Silence can't talk due to his inability to disable his sonic vacuum field.
- Spirit World: The Veil, Spirit Space or the Astral Plane is a plane inhabited by astrans, reapers, spirits and ghosts. Some DPIs can access it on their own others have to die. Everyone passes through it as somepoint and can't leave until they are resurrected or reaped, unless they make it there via powers in which case it is generally easy to get out.
- The Unmasqued World: The existence of various Differently Powered Individuals was revealed in 1995.