"Night Hunters" is a series of seven supernatural novels set in present day New York. The first two books of the series are posted and free to read on Fiction Press. The third book is currently in the process of being posted.
The author confirms that all seven books are already done, all that is stopping him from actually uploading them is the fact that he is searching for some good cover images. The book names are as follow:
- Catacombs of New York
- Colony of the Wolves
- A Grimm Favor
- The Land of Grace
- Pompeii's Revenge
- The City of the Seven
- The Last Breath of a Dragon
The first book follows the adventure of a vampire living in New York under the name of Reus Lamius. One day his life get's spun around, by a knock on his door and is dragged into a race against time to save New York and by extension the continent along with a police trainie named Deirdre Rees. As they fight to stop an apocalyptic event however, something far bigger and older is waiting in the sidelines for them in the future.
The second book picks up about a year after the end of the first, with the mysteries deepening and Reus Lamius is forced to go to one of the most surrounded by myth and speculation places in America: Roanoke Island! And if the impending werewolf threat isn't enough for him and his companions, he might be forced to deal with whatever is responsible for the original Lost Colony!
The books are written in a First Person viewpoint much like The Dresden Files and has the same Lighter and Softer to Darkerand Edgier mood swings. The story touches on a lot of cliches, but unlike a great part of Vampire literature these days, the only vampire with actual feelings is the titular character and even then there is a plot related reason for it, according to the author.I managed to talk to him via e-mail and he even hinted a sequel series of 13 books!
This series provides examples of:
- The Alleged Car: Rebuilt by the end of the first book.
- Animate Inanimate Object: A Snake statue, a giant metallic grizzly and a wooden bat(As is vampire bat!)
- Battle in the Center of the Mind: In the end of the first book as well as in the second.
- Blackmail: On several occasions
- Can't Hold His Liquor: Despite having Irish blood in her veins, Deirdre can't even drink an excess of wine!
- Cool Old Guy:
- Deirdre's grandfather is quite cool with the idea of her granddaughter having a vampire as a friend
- The titular character himself, can be considered this since he's really 8523 (give or take a decade) years old
- Cute Bruiser: Deirdre has shades of this, being 5' nothing and weighing probably a grand total of 100 pounds.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: Deirdre's ex-boyfriend died from magical exsanguination off-screen.
- Green-Eyed Redhead: Dierdre is described as having emerald green eyes and fiery red hair.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Reus is about 6'5", while Deirdre barely hits 5'.
- Our Vampires Are Different: Immortal, unless killed in battle or prolonged sun exposure build up immunity to sunlight over the millennia and can turn into 8 feet tall, ash armored killing machines with split jaws.
- Our Werewolves Are Different: Bigger, strong and faster than vampires, immortal and stay in beast form all the time with no human reasoning whatsoever. Also hunt bad people, but with no temperance.
- Our Zombies Are Different: Slow-moving parasitically feeding corpses.
- Really 700 Years Old: The titular characters and all other vampires by extension.
- Rescue Romance: Deirdre seemed to fall into that in the first book. Seemed to have outgrown in after several months
- Tastes Like Chicken: Blood apparently tastes like chocolate
- Underwater Kiss: Of the breathing variety for Reus. For Deirdre ...
- Zombie Apocalypse: The goal of an insane shaman spirit in the first book.