My Teacher Sleeps in School is a children's picture book authored by Leatie Weiss. It takes place in a world filled with anthropomorphic elephants and is about a girl, Mollie, who thinks her teacher, Mrs. Marsh, lives in the elementary school. She, along with Gary, Lisa, and Jason, try to find clues of such thing, until Mrs. Marsh reveals the ultimate truth.
My Teacher Sleeps in School contains examples of:
- Cool Teacher: Mrs. Marsh. She even takes her class on a field trip to her house.
- Foreshadowing: The four elephants find two bags filled with utensils and cake supplies. They turn out to be for the surprise party at the end of the field trip.
- Furry Reminder: The elephants use their long trunks to pick up items.
- Girls Love Stuffed Animals: Lisa decides to add a teddy bear into the gift for Mrs. Marsh.
- Hand Wave: In-Universe. Jason disputes Mollie's theory that Mrs. Marsh uses the toy stoves to cook food, by saying that they're toys. Mollie rebuts by saying that "teachers can do anything".
- I Knew There Was Something About You: Gary responds that teachers don't sleep in school. At the party, which takes place after the field trip to Mrs. Marsh's house, he boasts that he was right about Mrs. Marsh being a normal teacher.
- Non-Giving-Up School Guy: What the kids think Mrs. Marsh is, in a Lighter and Softer way.
- Open Secret: Gary tries to keep the "teacher sleeps in school" theory a secret, but the entire class ends up knowing.
- Pink Means Feminine: Mollie wears a pink dress and pink bows.
- The Reveal: Mrs. Marsh is a normal adult who lives at a house and has family, like any other person.
- Teachers out of School: The entire book is based around a child's belief that her teacher lives at school. Like always, it turns out to be the opposite.
- Tertiary Sexual Characteristics: Mollie and Lisa wear bows and skirts, while Gary dons a baseball cap.
- World of Funny Animals: But the only Funny Animal inhabitants are anthropomorphic elephants!