Struggling to find a place to be as a human girl, Sunset starts investigating magic with the hopes of finding something that defines her and being useful to her friends.
This book starts just after the events of the Rainbow Rocks movie. It also has the first original plot of the Equestria Girls books. Written by Perdita Finn.
My Little Pony: Equestria Girls: Sunset Shimmer's Time to Shine provides the following examples:
- Attention Deficit... Ooh, Shiny!:
- After Sunset gives Rainbow Dash a wrist-device that tracks everything going on in her body and vibrates, makes noises, etc., she gets extremely distracted all the time looking at it.
- Played straight and averted with Pinkie who manages to keep concentrating in her exam instead of looking through the window.
- Brutal Honesty: Applejack, sometimes coming off as rude to Sunset.
- Desperately Looking for a Purpose in Life: Sunset starts struggling with this as she notices how all her friends have something that defines them.
- Early Installment Weirdness:
- Sunset Shimmer and friends are referred to as the "Rainbooms". Later novels refer to them (now with Human Twilight) as "The Equestria girls".
- Through the story Sunset talks to Twilight for help with the magic book ALOT, something she does once in a blue moon in the modern books.
- The book takes a lot of the Rainbow Rocks movie and it's not a novelisation or tie-in story, modern Equestria Girls books are by far more independent than whatever animated content has recently been released.
- Good with Numbers: Sunset.
- Intelligence Equals Isolation: Zig-Zagged. It's established that Sunset needs to do more social activities instead of merely focusing on studying and other than the Equestria girls she is actively avoided due to her not doing any effort to clean her image.
- It Was with You All Along: The magic Twilight was talking about to Sunset was Sunset's friendship with the Equestria girls/Rainbooms all along.
- Magic Music: Sunset and friends release magic and pony-up through doing and practicing music.
- The Magic Was Inside You All Along: Twilight convinces Sunset that her friends all have magic, Sunset believes that magic is the reason for things to go really well for them but turns out they were really special on their own and friendship is magic.
- Super Intelligence: Sunset, of the "super learning and eidetic memory" kind.