The Goosebumps SlappyWorld book where a kid befriends Slappy.
Barton Suggs has only one friend, and as a result he is a loner. What doesn't help is that he is always picked by two bullies, who give him a hard time on a daily basis. One day, his dad gets him a dummy, who of course is Slappy. When Slappy comes to life, Barton doesn't have the usual reaction. He's not scared, he's excited. With Slappy's help, he can finally get revenge on his tormentors. After getting over the shock, Slappy agrees to help with the bullies. But naturally, a friendship with a dummy isn't one you can trust...
This book provides examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: Barton's Dad at least means well but he doesn't do much about the bullies even though he's aware of them, just wanting Barton to stand up for himself.
- Beware of Vicious Dog: The neighbor has a vicious dog that gets let at one point by the bullies to scare Barton.
- Bland-Name Product: Barton goes on a school field trip to the "DaffyTaffy" factory.
- The Bully: The story has a pair of especially cruel ones. They push Barton into a vat early on and later force him to write their homework for them.
- Daydream Surprise: There's a scene where one of the bullies falls into a stretching machine, but it turns out to be a daydream from Barton.
- Embarrassing Nickname: The bullies call Barton Suggs "Sluggs", which they think is a riot but Barton finds it annoying.
- Here We Go Again!: A rather odd example. Barton defeats Slappy and the bullies calm down, but he thinks he hears the neighbor's dog ask to be his friend.
- New Powers as the Plot Demands: Slappy now has the power to make things float, and control people.
- Only Friend: Lizzie is this for Barton. She actually sticks up for Barton often. Slappy does not approve of her though, as he wants to fill this role.
- Something Completely Different: This one sees a kid not being scared by Slappy and actually wanting to befriend him.
- Xtreme Kool Letterz: The bullies offer Barton tickets to a "Crokodile Tears" concert.