An ordinary Earth boy, Joe Jefferson, is suddenly transported into Muddle Earth by Randalf the Wise. Summoned for the sole purpose of being a warrior hero, Joe must face formidable opponents such as sheep-squeezing ogres and treasure-hoarding dragons. He soon finds that the only way to get to the home he once loved is to defeat the evil Mr Cuddles, who has stolen all of the spell books.
Was followed by a sequel titled Muddle Earth Too, which extends the parody beyond Tolkien. Joe returns to Muddle Earth through a wardrobe, enrols in Randalf's new magic school and discovers his sister now has a crush on a vampire called Edward.
Tropes used in Muddle Earth:
- Bruiser with a Soft Center: The ogres, who love their soft blankets.
- Catch Phrases: "Shut up, Veronica!"
- "Trust me, I'm a wizard."
- Deadpan Snarker: Veronica.
- Head Pet: Veronica the budgie. Subverted in that she hates being one, and would rather live in a nice cage.
- Improvised Armor: Joe's armour.
- Parody Name: Raldalf the Wise to Gandalf the Grey, the Musty Mountains to the Misty Mountains and, of course, Muddle Earth to Middle Earth.
- Small Name, Big Ego: Randalf the Wise.
- Wizarding School: Stinkyhogs in Muddle Earth Too.