The Monument 14 trilogy is a series of three Post-Apocayptic Young Adult novels by Emmy Laybourne. After a series of catastrophic events, fourteen children take shelter in a superstore in Monument, Colorado. There, they must figure out how to survive and how to get help.
This series contains examples of:
- Alcoholic Parent: Max mentions that most other kids' parents probably don't drink as much as his parents do.
- Ambiguously Brown: The book dances around saying that Sahalia and Josie are black, but repeatedly mentions their brown skin and curly hair.
- Attempted Rape: Sahalia is almost raped by Robbie.
- Boom, Headshot!: Towards the end of the first book, Robbie gets shot in the head after the older kids catch him trying to have sex with Sahalia.
- From the Mouths of Babes: Max cheerfully volunteers a lot of inappropriate stories about his very colorful family.
- Hate Plague: The MORS compounds that got leaked into the air cause anyone with type-O blood to go berserk. When Dean gets exposed to the compound, the narration suddenly deviates from his usual dry descriptions to ranting about how he wants to kill everything and everyone.
- Holier Than Thou: Batiste drives everyone nuts with his very religious opinions.
- Jerk Jock: Brayden has been bullying Dean for years.
- Post-Apocalyptic Dog: Towards the end of the first book, the kids are gifted with a dog, Luna.
- Team Dad: Dean finds himself forced into this role, as Brayden is too much of an asshole, Jake's too dumb, and Niko has no people skills.
- Team Mom: Josie quickly falls into this role after getting over her shellshock, as it turns out that she's great at dealing with kids.
- 20 Minutes into the Future: The series takes place in the not-too-distant future. It's mentioned that Cory Booker is the President of the United States.