Millicent Min, Girl Genius is Lisa Yee's first book about an eleven and a half year old girl genius named Millicent Min who attends high school in the fictional town of Rancho Rosetta, California. This young girl has a lot of trouble in her social circle. She's an 11 year old genius but she has no friends. To make things worse, she has to go for volleyball. She also has to tutor her arch enemy Stanford Wong who almost flunked sixth grade. Then she meets someone named Emily Ebers. Millicent has to hide the fact that she's so smart, she has to put up with a cretin like Stanford and go through volleyball.
Tropes found in this work:
- Asian and Nerdy: Millicent.
- Bumbling Dad: Millicent has one.
- Intelligence = Isolation: Played straight.
- Jerk Jock: Stanford, although he becomes more of a Jerk with a Heart of Gold at the end.
- Little Miss Snarker: Millicent.
- Naïve Everygirl: Emily.
- Perspective Flip: There are two spinoff novels, one told from Stanford's point of view and one told from Emily's.
- Teen Genius: Millicent, of course.
- Third Wheel: Millicent gets some of this when Emily and Stanford start dating.