Mik's Mammoth is a Picture Book written and illustrated by Roy Gerrard. It was first published January 1st 1990. The story is about a small caveman named Mik who accidentally gets left behind by the rest of his tribe and how he survived with the help of his mammoth friend Rumm.
This book provides examples of:
- A Boy and His X: The story is called, Mik's Mammoth for a reason, for the story is largely about Mik taking care of a lost baby mammoth and later uses to save his tribe.
- An Aesop: The last page provides us with this:The moral is that little chapsMay overcome life's handicaps,And, with some effort, they perhapsCan triumph in the end.
- Artistic License Paleontology: A small one, a wooly mammoth being tame and spending time with a caveman.
- Bad with the Bone: A member of a enemy tribe is seen with a bone weapon.
- Bears Are Bad News: A bear attacked Mik and Rumm to try and take their cave, he quickly ran off though thanks to Rumm.
- Body Paint: Rumm gets his tusks painted in the last page.
- Cool Pet: Rumm the mammoth.
- Farm Boy: Mik could be considered this after he makes himself a garden and after he saves his tribe he becomes the tribe's leader.
- Floral Crown: Rumm gets one at the end of the story.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold: Mik the hero is the only blond in the entire story.
- Horse of a Different Color: Rumm a mammoth allows Mik to ride him.
- Narrative Poem: The entire story is in third person and rhymes.
- Nearly Normal Animal: Rumm the mammoth may qualify since he clearly understands Mik and even responses to him once by shaking his head when Mik offered him fish.
- Only Friend: Mik and Rumm start of as such due to being left behind by their families.
- Pet Baby Wild Animal: Rumm starts as this.
- Teen Genius: Mik may possibly qualify, since he's around the same size as the adults, but lacks a beard like the men of his tribe.
- True Companions: Mik and Rumm.
- War Mammoth: Rumm is briefly used as one by Mik against a enemy tribe.