Magical Annals is a fantasy romance series written by Scarlet Winters. The series follows Windfire Deverille, the coven heiress of her family. The events of each of the books are intertwined and dependent upon one another. After the exile of the Deverille witches from the witching plane, things are quite and uneventful for several years. The Deverille witches are visited by representatives of families from their former home. Without knowing of the exact political and personal agendas of their visitors Windfire is put into the difficult position of wearing her family's mantle and leading them by selecting allegiances and acting on their behalf and having to do so with limited information and no access to the witching plane.
The series includes (or will include in the future):
- Magical Annals Antiquities And Arcana
- Magical Annals Amor And Augurs
- Magical Annals Subterfuge And Sorcery
- Magical Annals Sins And Sacraments
- Magical Annals Betrayal And Bewitchery
- Magical Annals Brutalities And Bestowings
- Magical Annals Odyssey And Omens
- Magical Annals Oddities And Oracles
- Magical Annals Futures And Phantasmagorias
Tropes Associated with Magical Annals
- Blood Magic It is used a lot as a magical item. The blood of magical beings is especially potent.
- Elemental Powers All witches have them. Some are better than others at manifesting them, utilizing them, learning them and controlling them.
- Eye of Newt Magical reagents are used in many spells, potions etc.
- Idiosyncratic Episode Naming
- The book names are all alliteration or assonance with one of the words being related to magic in the first eight titles.
- Blank and Blank is the book title theme.
- Mark of the Supernatural All royal-blooded witches have one. Everything from markings on their skin, supernatural eye colors, fangs, claws, pointed ears to wings and more.
- Psychic Powers Many witches have them of varying degrees. Firstborns do not have them.
- Royal Blood Of importance of varying degrees depending on the story.
- Symbolic Blood Blood represents souls etc. in various ceremonies.
- Theme Naming All of the witches' given names are named after things from nature, magic, mythology and the supernatural.
- Witch Species All witches are like this including the commoners.