The story intially revolves around a mysterious but benevolent race of Eldritch Abominations named Xqqapikalits that appear to look over the world and hold the peace. One day, however, it turns out one of the children of the mysterious race wants to deviate from the path it was designed for. You can probably guess where this is going.
Machinations of a Monster contains examples of:
- And I Must Scream: Several.
- The Entity traps all living Xqqapikalits in an extremely sharp, tiny box for the rest of eternity, and right next to their friends too. Except no sound goes through these boxes.
- The Entity making a little girl immortal just so he can trap her under the sea in a chest for all eternity, drowning forever.
- Apocalypse How: The Entity decides to cause this, For the Evulz, by causing meteor showers, advancing Global Warming and in many more ways..
- Big Bad: The Entity is the reason everything bad happens.
- Body Horror: The Entity causes horrific damage to Chad's girlfriend, not limited to disembowling her.
- Did We Just Have Tea with Cthulhu?: The Xqqapikalits are surprisingly friendly for being Eldritch Abominations. Subverted with the Entity.
- Dark Is Not Evil: The Xqqapikalits.
- Eldritch Abomination: Downplayed with the Xqqapikalits, and played straight with the Entity.
- Establishing Character Moment: When the Entity destroys a realm.
- Eye Scream: The Entity gouges Chad's girlfriend's eyes out.
- Force Feeding: In a particularly sadistic example, The Entity forces Chad to eat his own girlfriend's remains.
- For the Evulz: Ultimately, everything the Entity does is because he found being nice "uninteresting".
- Global Warming: The Entity melts the ice caps, for fun.
- Omnicidal Maniac: The Entity's first act is to destroy a lesser realm and he later goes on to destroy the Earth.
- The Bad Guy Wins: The Entity is ultimately never stopped from its goals of aboslute omnicide.