After arriving to meet her would-be husband, however, she learns that there is more to the monster than her village had ever known.
Tropes Found in the Work
- Altar Diplomacy This is what the people of the villages hope they are doing in sending virgins up the mountain side.
- And the Adventure Continues
- Arranged Marriage ...Of sorts...
- Continuity Nod The friends Ritana makes appear in Narcissism And Power.
- Heaven Above The gods' wills and influence and the constellations that represent the gods' domains are heavily referenced throughout the story. It is believed that the gods' influence does play a role in the mortals' day to day lives.
- Marriage of Convenience
- Maintain the Lie Good people do so at the request of Alaric Goldenscales.
- Theme Naming
- All of Alaric's siblings' names begin with "A"
- Most of the named places have to do with nature, oftentimes water.
- Virgin Sacrifice Required to keep disasters from affecting the villages.
- Will They or Won't They?
- Wizarding School The arcane university.
- Brainy Brunette She is a well-read amateur magic user and has dark hair.
- Constantly Curious This is what caused her to play around with magic, read what she could and what led to her learning the great secret of the world around her.
- Earth Maiden She has shades of this despite her virginity and lack of a family to care for.
- Feminine Women Can Cook She is acceptably feminine and she does housework to make herself useful.
- Erotic Dream Ooooh yeah...she has a very lovingly detailed one and then she wakes up and realizes she has to be around Alaric who she had the sex dream about
- Plucky Girl She refuses to give up and is generally happy and almost a Determinator at times. But, this trait is what leads to her offer being accepted by Alaric.
Alaric Goldenscales AKA Lord of the Mountain
- Celibate Hero He is always preoccupied with his duties as a druid and finds that keeping the world from collapsing around him is a far better use of his time.
- Chaste Hero He really thinks he is above romance and overall does not see the point in trying a romantic relationship. This stems from his lack of understanding of those emotions. And that he sees everybody around him as his family and he does not want to cross into that squick fest.
- Dumb Blond He has shades of this with ditzy moments.
- Druid He preserves the forests and has great respect for life in all forms.
- Hair of Gold, Heart of Gold He is a gentle, loving person.
- Really 700 Years Old He several decades old, but appears to be a young man in his twenties. This is the norm for Ullord dragons.
- What Is This Thing You Call "Love"? Despite being a mortal he seems to have this mentality. But, he is capable of being happy for others who find love.
- Yellow Eyes of Sneakiness Played straight at first. And then it is subverted at a certain point.