Letterland is a series of educational books by Lyn Wendon created to teach children how to read.
Set in the titular Letterland, the series follows a series of beings who are all themed after certain letters. It shows their lives, the adventures that they go on, and what they learn. The characters are Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben, Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddy Elephant, Fireman Fred, Golden Girl, Hairy Hat man, Impy Ink, Jumping Jim, Kicking King, Lucy the Lamp Lady, Munching Mike, Naughty Nick, Oscar Orange, Poor Peter, Quarrelsome Queen, Robber Red, Sammy Snake, Ticking Tom, Uppy Umbrella, Vase of Violets, Wicked Water Witch, Max and Maxine, Yo-yo man, Zig Zag Zebra.
The series has run since the late 1960s.
Letterland contains examples of:
- Alliterative Name: A given, given the nature of the series: Annie Apple, Bouncy Ben, Clever Cat, and so on. The stories tend to have lots of words beginning with the same letter as the main character in that story.
- Animate Inanimate Object: Impy Ink, Uppy Umbrella, Vase of Violets are talking objects.
- Anthropomorphic Food: Annie Apple and Oscar Orange are both foods.
- Beach Bury: At the seaside, Naughty Nick buries Golden Girl in the sand.
- Blindfolded Trip: Bouncy Ben is blindfolded before his birthday trip in a balloon.
- Does Not Like Shoes: The Hairy Hat Man does not wear shoes, because he says they make too much noise as he hops along.
- One-Word Title: Letterland.
- Talking Animal: Bouncy Ben (bunny), Clever Cat, Dippy Duck, Eddie Elephant, Poor Peter (puppy), Sammy Snake, and Zig Zag Zebra can all talk.