An Alternate History written by AlternateHistory.com member D'Valdron, author of Green Antarctica. Inspired by Lands of Red and Gold, it features the Thule culture developing a peculiar agriculture package in the 7th century that allows them to build an agricultural society in the Arctic. The Thule realm (not a united nation) stretches from eastern Siberia across Alaska and northern Canada to Greenland, and even all the way to places like Svalbard.
Can be found here, although forum membership is required.
This series contains examples of:
- Alternate History: Check the URL if you don't believe me.
- Cool Old Guy: Grandfather, a Thule shaman who lived among the Norse and invented the Thule alphabet.
- Eskimo Land: Utterly subverted - it is surprisingly fertile and home to the most advanced civilization in the New World.
- Horny Vikings: Subverted. When the Thule finally reach the Norse colony in Greenland, it's dying. The Norse barely stick around long enough to pass on things like sheep, bog iron, and writing.
- The Plague: The Thule get hit hard, enough that some of the survivors found the first organized religion in the New World.
- Shown Their Work: Most of the early chapters are extended entries on the specific plants which make it at all possible to do agriculture in the Arctic.
- The Theocracy: By 1600, Greenland has become a theocracy that believes Jesus Christ is a plague god.
- Wham Episode: The chapter introducing Manupataq, founder of the first homegrown organized religion among the Thule.