The novels include:
- Cut to the Quick (1994)
- A Broken Vessel (1995)
- Whom the Gods Love (1996)
- The Devil in Music (1998)
There are also two short stories, The Lullaby Cheat (1997) and The Unkindest Cut (1998).
Tropes found in the Julian Kestrel series include:
- The Dandy: Julian, of course.
- Five-Finger Discount: Julian meets Dipper when the latter attempts to pickpocket him.
- Precocious Crush: Early in the series the 20-something Julian meets 11-year-old Phillipa Fontclair, who frankly informs him that she intends to marry him when she grows up. They become pen pals and exchange letters throughout the series.
- Sweet Polly Oliver: Suspect Quentin Clare in Whom the Gods Love is actually a woman posing as her dead brother.
- Who Murdered the Asshole?: The victim in Whom the Gods Love.