Jacob Two-Two is the youngest of five children and gets his nickname because he often says things twice since no one hears him the first time. The first book, Jacob Two-Two Meets the Hooded Fang has been filmed twice (pun not intended), and there are references to it in the animated series. Mordecai Richler died in 2001, but in September 2009 a new Jacob Two-Two book written by Cary Fagan was released.
The books provide examples of:
- A Boy and His X: In "Jacob Two-Two and the Dinosaur," Jacob befriends Dippy the dinosaur.
- All Just a Dream - The children's prison island.
- Author Avatar - Jacob's dad Morty is based on the creator.
- Bittersweet Ending: At the end of "Jacob Two-Two and the Dinosaur", Dippy is safe amongst his own kind, but now Jacob can never see him again and he's emotionally scarred for life.
- Character Name and the Noun Phrase - Used to title both the books and episodes of the animated series.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: The Hooded Fang is scary but turns out to be a kid at heart.
- Verbal Tic: Jacob's signature habit of repeating words.