It tells the story of Diego Avery, a lonely young man who discovers a griffin in his forested backyard. Said griffin, named Aglaciel, can't remember anything about what happened to him. A Quest for Identity begins when Diego's girlfriend, Miho, finds a unicorn in a nearby public park, and a lot more questions than answers are brought to the surface.
However, Diego has a lot of baggage himself, and sooner or later that's going to come to the forefront...
Starts off as a pretty typical A Boy and His X story — a young man having adventures with his griffin, but it but quickly gets darker.
Contains examples of:
- Abusive Parents: Christian Avery sexually abused his son Diego.
- Archnemesis Dad: Christian Avery is this to Diego.
- Dark and Troubled Past:
- Diego was sexually abused by his father.
- Rahim was abandoned and essentially taken in by Christian Avery for slave labor.
- Jillian was almost mauled to death by griffins while terrified and alone in the mountains.
- Dawn watched Argent slaughter her family.
- Declaration of Protection: Implied. It goes unsaid for most of the story, but Rahim is definitely going to protect Diego, no matter what gets in his way.
- Our Wyverns Are Different: True dragons died out a long time ago, but wyverns appear in the story. They don't like being mistaken for their four-legged cousins and unlike many other examples have no magic powers to speak of.
- Rape as Backstory: Diego was raped as a child. It's more or less portrayed realistically.