If We Survive is a YA novel written by Andrew Klavan about 6 people who go to a country in South America for missionary work, and end up caught in a revolution.
If We Survive contains examples of:
- All Love Is Unrequited: Will develops a crush on Meredith. Eventually Nikki is implied to develop one for Will after he saves her after she falls in the river.
- Big Damn Heroes: Palmer saving everyone as they're about to be executed.
- Dark and Troubled Past: Meredith lost her sister to cancer when she was 14, and Palmer was kicked out of the Marines.
- Did Not Get the Girl: Meredith never returns Will's affections.
- Dude Magnet: Meredith attracts Will, Palmer, and Mendoza over the course of the story. she ends up with Palmer.
- The Load: Nikki doesn't serve any purpose in the story other than to be a Damsel in Distress and the Implied Love Interest for Will.
- Mighty Whitey: The summary outright states that the characters become beloved in the village they go to. Not to mention Palmer easily killing several troops, even those that should have more experience than him.
- Straw Character: Jim only really exists in the story to be proven wrong.
- Too Dumb to Live: Meredith directly ignores and disobeys Mendoza, who just shot someone SECONDS beforehand and had already brought in armed men with him.