Hex Hall is a trilogy of Young Adult fantasy novels by Rachel Hawkins.
Sophie Mercer discovered that she was a witch when she was twelve years old.Since then her powers have gotten her onto a whole heap of trouble, and when a wayward spell at prom draws attention, Sophie finds herself sent off to a reform school, Hecate Hall, better known as Hex Hall. Hex Hall is filled with all sorts of Prodigium, witches, warlocks, faes, shapeshifters and weres, it's all a bit much for Sophie who was raised by her human mother. Between the fact that Sophie's new roommate Jenna happens to be the only vampire in the school, the obnoxious, annoying, mysterious, totally hot warlock Archer Cross that Sophie couldn't possibly have a crush on, and the strange ghost girl that seems to have taken an interest in Sophie, it's almost enough to forget that there's a series of attacks going on at the school that have already left one girl dead.
In the sequel Demonglass, Sophie travels to England to spend the summer with her estranged father along with Jenna and Cal. They stay at Thorne Abbey, which is acting as The Council headquarters. Sophie is trying to learn what it means to be a demon and control her powers, but is distracted by the fact that someone has been raising demons, a war is brewing between Prodigium and the Eye, her recently discovered betrothal to Cal, and she can't seem to get Archer Cross out of her head.
In Spellbound, just as Sophie Mercer has come to accept her extraordinary magical powers as a demon, the Prodigium Council strips them away. Now Sophie is defenseless, alone, and at the mercy of her sworn enemiesthe Brannicks, a family of warrior women who hunt down the Prodigium. Or at least thats what Sophie thinks, until she makes a surprising discovery. The Brannicks know an epic war is coming, and they believe Sophie is the only one powerful enough to stop the world from ending. But without her magic, Sophie isnt as confident.
This series provides examples of:
- Aerith and Bob: The Brannicks consist of Aislinn, Finley, Isolde and Grace (Sophie's mom)
- All-Ghouls School: Hex Hall.
- Alpha Bitch: Elodie, at least until her death in Hex Hall. By the end she has a few aspects of Lovable Alpha Bitch.
- Amazon Brigade: The Brannicks.
- Arranged Marriage: Apparently, when a witch is thirteen she is betrothed to a warlock.
- Boarding School: Hex Hall.
- Cliffhanger: The ending of Demonglass.
- Cold Iron: Used by humans against the fairies, to horrible effect.
- Demonglass is this for, you guessed it, demons. It's the only thing that can easily kill them.
- Demon Slaying: The Eye, or L'Occhio di Dio.
- Everyone Is Related: Archer and Nick; their fathers were brothers
- Everything's Deader with Zombies: Zombies guard the place where demons are being raised.
- Kryptonite Factor: Demons can only be killed with demonglass.
- Kryptonite-Proof Suit: Jenna's bloodstone.
- Lady Land: Where the Brannicks live.
- Lesbian Vampire: Jenna is a lesbian, but she doesn't fit the trope. However, she was seduced by one who fits this trope.
- Love Triangle: Archer, Sophie and Elodie in the first book and Sophie, Archer and Cal in the second.
- Monster/Slayer Romance: Demon-hunter Archer and half-demon Sophie.
- Our Ghosts Are Different: There are several ghosts roaming around Hex Hall. Alice is one. Or at least Sophie thought she was one, turns out she's a demon that was raised from hell. Elodie becomes one.
- Pair the Spares: In Spell Bound, Cal decides to sacrifice his life in order for Sophie to live, knowing she is in love with Archer. Afterwards, Elodie's ghost asks Sophie to unbind them so that she can stay with Cal's ghost.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: Sophie and Cal seem to be heading in this direction.
- Psychological Torment Zone: Hell is portrayed this way.
- Speak of the Devil: Ghost Elodie
- Star-Crossed Lovers: The whole she's a demon, he's a demon hunter place Archer and Sophie firmly into this category. Especially after the Council's reaction to finding them together.
- Sword and Sorcerer: Archer and Sophie. Though Archer is a Warlock, "he's not the strongest [one]". He is a great fighter, however. A solid type 1 in the fight at Hex against the dead.