Hater is a book by U.K. author David Moody.
Something is wrong with society these days. The news gives reports of people just suddenly deciding to kill other people: enemies, strangers, coworkers, friends, family. Random. Brutal. For seemingly no reason.
Enter the protagonist, The Everyman: He lives a mundane life, married with children, slaves away for a paycheck under a miserable bitch of a boss. He stops going to work and barricades himself with his family inside their home until it's over because he starts seeing people mowing down other people in real life, on the street and at work, not just on television, which has basically gone off the air, and is now displaying the message, "REMAIN CALM DO NOT PANIC TAKE SHELTER WAIT FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS THE SITUATION IS UNDER CONTROL".
The Sequel Dog Blood came out in 2010.
The The Film of the Book is currently in Development Hell.
- And Then John Was a Zombie: The main character suddenly realizes that he is a Hater.
- Just Before the End: The first part of the trilogy.
- Hate Plague: A virus causes people to murder their loved ones and anyone else in their path. The local media even calls the infected people "haters."
- They Look Just Like Everyone Else!: You can't see them, but they can definitely see you.
- Taking the Kids: The protagonist plan to take his daughter away, but his wife prevents him and takes the kids with her to get them away from him.
- Villain Protagonist: The main character realizes he is a Hater and then kills his father-in-law with plans to kill the rest of his family save for his daughter.