God's Demon is a 2007 American fantasy novel by Wayne Barlowe.
Inspired by Christian demonology, it tells the story of Sargatanas, a Fallen Angel who participated in Lucifer's rebellion but has since repented and now seeks God's forgiveness so he can return to Heaven.
This book contains examples of:
- Ascended Demon: The story of Sargatanas' quest for forgiveness so he can return to Heaven.
- After Action Patch Up: Hannibal Barca back in Adamantinarx, after getting his arm cut off by Moloch.
- Bestiality Is Depraved: Adramalik rapes a non-sapient creature called a Skin-peeler.
- Bloody Bowels of Hell: The ground and many buildings in Hell are made from living flesh.
- Bookcase Passage: The secret compartment where Valefar keeps the Above Sword.
- Convenient Cranny: When Hani ducks into a Domicile to avoid getting stomped on by Demons.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Sargatanas' army vs. Astaroth's army.
- Deus ex Machina: When Ardat Lili returns to life for no reason.
- Door of Doom: The humongous gates scattered throughout the various cities of Hell.
- Final Battle: The absolutely epic showdown at Dis.
- Flaming Emblem: The Sigils used by Demons to do various things, though they are most often used to stand out on a battlefield or signify leadership.
- Glory Days: Back when Sargatanas and his crew were kickin' it in The Above, before The Fall.
- Heart Light: Demons have glowing holes in their chests where their angelic hearts used to be.
- Huge Guy, Tiny Girl: Lilith is the size of a normal woman, but Sargatanas is 12 feet tall.
- Human Resources: Human souls are made into bricks, books, clothing, and war beasts by Demons.
- Legions of Hell: Each city in Hell has its own huge army of Demons, and Sargatanas takes it further by getting the souls to fight on his side.
- The Mole: Baron Faraii is a spy for Beelzebub.
- Noble Demon: Sargatanas is outright referred to as this, and known for not being pointlessly cruel the same way other Demons are.
- Our Demons Are Different: They all are Fallen Angels who have wings and a bone carapace, but can have any number of arms, wings, eyes, or mouths. Demons Major have the ability to change their appearance at will.
- Redemption Equals Death: Sargatanas.
- The Worm That Walks: Beelzebub's body is a swarm of flies with the faces of angels.