The Gameknight999 series is a series of unofficial Minecraft novels written by Mark Cheverton. It focuses on Gameknight999, a talented Minecraft player and former griefer who is trapped in the game. He learns something that even the programmers don't know: All of the creatures in the game are alive!
Unsure of what will happen should he die in the game, Gameknight999 sets off to befriend the NPCs... and save the entire world from encroaching evils. Later books further complicate matters when his family also becomes trapped in the game, and the wicked Herobrine sets his sights on destroying the Minecraft world and the real world.
A successor series, A Far Lands Adventure, was written about a Far Lands inhabitant named Watcher and his quest to defend his homeland.
The author's website can be found here.
This series contains examples of:
- Adaptational Badass: Villagers in Vanilla Minecraft are harmless and dies easily to zombies. In this series, villagers can kill mobs with ease and even take on entire armies.
- Author Vocabulary Calendar: Gameknight999 is referred to as the User-that-is-not-a-user a lot.
- Baleful Polymorph: At the end of Last Stand on the Ocean Shore, Herobrine is trapped in the body of a pig.
- Big Bad: Herobrine is this for the second and third series, controlling huge armies of monsters to destroy the Minecraft world and threaten the safety of the real world.
- Big Good: The Oracle, a representation of the good in Minecraft. She manifests both as an old woman and as the game's music.
- A Darker Me: Herobrine also griefs just like Gameknight999 did, but on a more massive scale.
- Everyone Calls Him "Barkeep": Villagers are only called by their profession, such as Crafter, Digger, or Herder.
- HeelFace Turn: Gameknight999 started out as a notorious griefer, but soon becomes a selfless hero.
- The Man Behind the Man: The end of the first series reveals that Herobrine was behind the attacks of Erebus and Malacoda.
- My Death Is Just the Beginning: The Herobrine's Revenge series has Herobrine leave behind malicious code after death, which will corrupt and overload the Minecraft server.
- To Be Lawful or Good: Villagers are not allowed to speak to users. However, the villagers break the law in order to convince the users to help them.
- Trapped in TV Land: The series begins with Gameknight999 getting sucked into the game by one of his father's inventions. Later, his sister and father tag along as well in later books.
- Tuckerization: Gameknight999 is based on the author's son and uses his Minecraft screen name, while his father, Monkeypants271, uses Mark Cheverton's Minecraft screen name.
- When You Coming Home, Dad?: Gameknight angsts about his father being away from home so often at times. Subverted when his dad joins him in Saving Crafter