A marine biologist named Nathan Quinn discovers a whale with "BITE ME" on its tail fin. He sets out to investigate the cause of this mystery and ends up getting tangled in the affairs of monsters and the like.
This novel provides examples of:
- Artistic License Biology: Biological improbability of both whaleships and whaley-boys is acknowledged both In-Universe and in the author's afterword, which also points out to other differences between the novel and current state of scientific knowledge.
- Artistic License Sexuality: It has women who, like many a individual unaware that sexuality does not work that way, just decide to change their sexual orientation one day.
- Half-Human Hybrids: There are some whale-human hybrids with four fingers floating around.
- Rape and Switch: A pair of female marine biologists are at sea researching the mating patterns of humpback whales when their tiny boat is caught between a female humpback and a pair of males. After being savagely beaten by ten foot long penises and covered in gallons of whale semen, they promptly decide to become lesbians.
- Shout-Out: The title is to I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
- Stoners Are Funny: Cloud Cuckoo Lander Surfer Dude Kona (Faux-Hawaiian Dreadlock Rasta Pelekekona Keohokalole aka Preston Applebaum from New Jersey).