Aka The Husky and His White Cat Shizun.
Emperor of the cultivation world Mo Weiyu deceived elders and slaughtered ancestors, and committed all crimes and sins known to man. After ending his own life he was reborn and transmigrated to the year he first became a disciple.
In the shell of a boy held the soul of the old and weary. After coming back to life, truth after truths that were hidden below the surface in the previous life floated to the top and broke through the waters one after the other.
Of all the revelations, the one that stunned him the most was the Shizun he hated to the bone in his previous life had always been protecting him from the shadows.
The heart of man could change, even demons and monsters could become compassionate and good. Only, he had sinned deeply. Could the blood on his hands ever be cleansed?
The Husky and His White Cat Shizun contains examples of:
- Accidental Marriage: A mission derails and Chu Wanning and Mo Ran find themselves with a demon conducting a wedding ceremony for the two of them, along with several ghosts.
- Action-Hero Babysitter: Mo Ran finds himself having to babysit his "younger disciple brother" Xia Sini (who in reality is a Chu Wanning who was reverted to his child form after a qi deviation) for some time. Shenanigans ensue.
- Action Mom: Previously thought to be completely non-combatant, near the end of the novel Lady Wang reveals her true power at the cost of her life.
- Affectionate Nickname: Mo Ran enjoys calling Chu Wanning either "Baobei" or "Wanning" after they've gotten together.
- And I Must Scream: The shards of Mo Ran's core are dug out before an entire audience while he is bound and unable to do anything, even scream.
- And Now You Must Marry Me: After Tanxian-jun captured and removed Chu Wanning's golden core, he marries Chu Wanning in an official wedding ceremony and makes him into his Imperial Concubine.
- Antagonist in Mourning: Chu Wanning's death in the first timeline drives Tanxian-jun into becoming mentally unstable, so much so that he preserves Chu Wanning's corpse in the Red Lotus Pavilion to visit and speak with.
- Ax-Crazy: One word: Taxian-jun.
- Back to School: The essentials of the novel's plot can be summed up to this.
- Bad Samaritan
- Band of Brothers: Mo Ran's and Xue Meng's relationship improves drastically after all their adventures together, with Xue Meng even risking both life and limb for him later on.
- Bathe Her and Bring Her to Me: Taxian-jun after capturing Chu Wanning in the first timeline.
- Berserk Button: Chu Wanning, for Mo Ran. Ironically, Chu Wanning was this for Mo Ran even before Mo Ran stopped hating him.
- Body Horror: a lot of the plot involves gorey imagery. Readers be warned.
- Bratty Teenage Daughter: Song Qiu Tong.
- Broken Pedestal: In the first timeline, Mo Ran's hatred for Chu Wanning began after the latter's failure to save the life of Shi Mei, who Mo Ran loved. Too bad Shi Mei wasn't actually dead.
- Cannot Spit It Out: Chu Wanning deeply cares for and loves Mo Ran, but has terrible communication issues.
- Cruel and Unusual Death: There are some who were subjected to this, but one of the most horrifying ones, aside from Song Qiutong being boiled alive, is Hua Binan's death.
- Deus Exit Machina: the final arc is stretched out quite a bit due to Mo Ran 2.0 being dead. He gets better though.
- Fantastic Racism: Butterfly-boned clan is a clan of half demons, who upon discovery are subjected to Fate Worse than Death by being used as cauldrons for making more children, so the humans could eat them alive or dual cultivate with them, all to amplify their spiritual powers. They are seen as subhuman and more like food and bed warmers. One way for them to avoid that fate is to never cry, as tears give their identity away if they are lucky enough to pass as a normal human.
- From Nobody to Nightmare: Thought Shi Mei was just the sweet, innocent, but ultimately forgettable final member of the Chu Wanning disciple squad in addition to being a prime example of the Disposable Fiancé? You thought wrong.
- Happily Married: After the events of the novel, Mo Ran and Chu Wanning retreat to their cottage, get married, and live their lives together.
- Hot Consort: Taxian-jun marries the most beautiful woman in the world, Song Qiu Tong, upon becoming emperor. He later marries Chu Wanning and makes him an Imperial Concubine, and Chu Wanning is known to be incredibly attractive as well.
- I Have You Now, My Pretty: Taxian-jun towards Chu Wanning. Also Hua Binan towards Chu Wanning.
- Official Couple: Mo Ran and Chu Wanning.
- Sickeningly Sweethearts: Chu Wanning and Mo Ran after their initial confession. They proceed to spend several chapters kissing and having sex and generally being a honeymoon phase new couple.
- Unrequited Love Switcheroo
- Violently Protective Girlfriend: Both Mo Ran and Chu Wanning, to each other.