Drug of Choice is a 1970 medical Conspiracy Thriller novel written by Michael Crichton under the pseudonym "John Lange".
This novel provides examples of:
- Arc Words: "What makes urine blue?"
- Big Bad: Dr. Harvey Blood, the CEO of Advance, Inc.
- Conspiracy Literature: The novel deals with a doctor uncovering a corporate conspiracy involving a Fantastic Drug and a secret Island Base.
- Corrupt Corporate Executive: Harvey Blood, and to some extent, George K. Washington.
- Fantastic Drug
- Island Base: Eden Island for Advance Biosystems.
- Karmic Death: Blood. He gets injected with the hallucination-inducing serum used to coerce and torture people earlier in the novel, then left to scream and go bat-shit crazy from his delusions before Clark's timer goes off and the corporate headquarters he's in finally explodes and kills him.
- Mega-Corp: Advance Biosystems
- Names to Run Away from Really Fast: Dr. Harvey Blood
- Shown Their Work: It's early Crichton, so the hospital scenes and medical practices described all come from his knowledge at Harvard Medical School.
- Stuff Blowing Up: At the end of the novel, Clark blows up Advance's corporate HQ with a pretty spectacular one. The Big Bad goes out this way too.
- Would Hit a Girl: Justified. Clark does this, albeit reluctantly, to try and wake Sharon Wilder from her coma near the beginning of the book.