Dreamland is a 2000 young adult novel by Sarah Dessen.
This novel contains examples of:
- Adults Are Useless: The adults in Caitlin's life are oblivious to Caitlin's life spiraling out of control. In fact, when her mother does notice that something's different, it's something completely ineffective (that Caitlin has stopped wearing bright colors). She later regrets this once she noticed Roberson beating Caitlin senselessly.
- Always Someone Better: Caitlin feels this towards her sister Cass. Somehow Deconstructed, as Cass revealed she wasnt perfect as she appears to be in her letter to Caitlin.
- Betty and Veronica:
- Caitlin has minor one between Mark Evans (Betty) and Rogerson (Veronica).
- Bookends: The beginning of the book had Cass running away from home without notice, in the end, she returns just to see Caitlin back from rehab as a surprise guest.
- Ivy League for Everyone: Cass was going to attend Yale but runs away before she can.
- Parental Substitute: Boo and Stewart are basically a second set of parents to Caitlin and Cass, despite their parents still being there.