Dragon and Damsel is a paranormal teen romance novel, featuring a budding romance between a dragon and a human. It was published as an eBook in July of 2020 by Ashley Kat, and can be found here: Dragon and Damsel
Bernadette Blaumeer is a young woman living in the small, rainy town of Edmonton. Her days seem to blend together: working, reading, and getting nagged about why she isn't making any art anymore.
But one day, her younger sister Celia goes missing, and she has to travel to the haunted castle nearby and bring her back. But once they make it home, the occupant of the castlea real, living dragonreveals that he followed them, and that Celia has taken something from him. Bernadette agrees to take Celias punishment and travels with the dragon back to the castle. Though she's now imprisoned in the old castle, could she perhaps find happiness here...and maybe even romance?
- Alliterative Name: Bernadette Blaumeer
- Asshole Victim: Edward. He gets hit by lightning, falls down a tower, and is sent to the hospital after he rallied the tower to raid the castle and kill a creature he was told was intelligent.
- Beast and Beauty: Azrael the Third, a large, dark male dragon with a bad temper, and Bernadette, a human female with a slightly less bad temper.
- Berserk Button: Azraels is bringing up other dragonsspecifically that hes the only one in the castle.
- Bookworm: Azrael and Bernadette are both this.
- Breath Weapon: Being a dragon, Azrael is able to breathe fire.
- The hidden painting implies that some subspecies of dragon have different breath weapons, with frost coming out of the white dragon's mouth and lightening coming from the yellow dragon's.
- Color-Coded for Your Convenience: Dragons come or came in a variety of colors. The color of their scales indicates what types of magic they specialize in.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Azrael the Third has dark green, almost black scales, and is proficient in shadow magic. He might seem like a cold-hearted jerk, but hes also a decent healer, doesnt like to see Bernadette in pain, and shares his library and his life with her.
- Dragon Hoard: Azrael has piles of gold, silver, and gems in the castle, mostly kept in his Treasure Room and under his bed...and collects other shiny things.
- Dragon Rider: Later in the story, Azrael allows Bernadette to ride on his back.
- Interspecies Romance: Develops between Azrael and Bernadette.
- Haunted Castle: The children in Edmonton believe the castle in the hills is this. There arent actually any ghostsjust a dragon who scares out visitors.
- Jerk with a Heart of Gold: Azrael the Third is temperamental, and gets angry if Bernadette brings up certain topics or investigates things personal to him. But he never attacks her, saves her life even after she entered his family tomb, and heals her wounds.
- Last of His Kind: Azrael isnt sure whether or not hes the last of the dragons. At the end of the book, theres a sign he might not be
- Limited-Use Magical Device: Shed dragon scales can act as this, having some residue of magic inside them...enough for even humans without magic to cast one or two spells, or be used for alchemy.
- Bernadette manages to cast two spells with one scaleone to blend into shadows, and a healing spell.
- Noodle Incident: Apparently, Bernadette worked a cash register once in the bookstore. Edward came by...and whatever happened, Azrael thinks is funny, while she is still slightly embarrassed and annoyed about it.
- Not So Different: Azrael and Bernadette find out theyre this. They can both be snarky, both love books, and both know the pain of losing their parents.
- Promotion to Parent: Alice, Bernadettes older sister, takes on this role for Bernadette and Celia after their parents die in a car crash.
- Soft Water: Subverted. Bernadette almost slips and falls a great distance into an underground lake, and both she and Azrael realize that hitting the water from that height would be deadly.
- Stepford Snarker: Bernadette has shades of this. After her parents die in a car crash, she becomes numb and pained. One of her reactions to this is to become snarky about pretty much everything.
- Transmutation: Azrael can use magic to transform his shed scales into large gold, silver, and bronze coins.
- Treasure Room: One is in the castle and is where Azrael keeps most of his gold and valuables. It's hidden behind a wall that only allows dragons to pass through.
- With Great Power Comes Great Insanity: Edward goes temporarily mad after trying to read a spell from a spellbook (without having any magic to use).
- Bernadette is able to use a dragon scale to power a spell she's casting, preventing insanity...but does get trapped in a loop, repeating the spell over and over as the magic is used up.