Deviance Complex is a Science Fantasy/Psychological Horror series by kaalban. It's more of a superhero story, except it's not about heroes. Its main theme is "discrimination", as well as other plethora of themes, including "love", "cruelty".
In a world different, yet similar to ours, superpowered humans called "Homo Obliquatur", or "deviants" in common speech. Superpowers are called "Deviance Complex". Deviants call themselves miracles. They are hunted down by Agency of Deviant Affairs, while some deviants fight back with acts of terrorism. Who can end this cycle of hatred? Can it even be ended?
Currently, the only (semi) published work is Deviance Complex: Hated. Found here.
This series contain tropes like:
- Central Theme: "Discrimination".
- Clarke's Third Law: Averted. Miracles use magic. Scientists in universe can't learn the principle or origins of their power even after countless years of research.
- Differently Powered Individuals: They are called "deviants" by those who hate them, while superhumans themselves or their sympathizers call them "miracles". One thing that differentiates miracles from other superhumans is that they have two power sets (sometimes opposite). They are called "Origins" by miracles themselves.
- Elemental Powers: Naturally, some miracles can control it. But only if they have appropriate Origin (or Deviance Complex).
- Hidden Depths: Characters here often have unexpected sides to them.
- Magic by Any Other Name: It's called either "Origin" or "Deviance Complex" depending on whom you ask.
- The Magic Versus Technology War: What miracle-human conflict essentially is.
- Personality Powers: Miracles' "Deviance Complex" usually somehow match their personality. Or their Hidden Depths
- All Abusers Are Male: Averted with Sarah Stark.