Molly Bigelow is an ordinary middle school girl, who happens to like hanging out at the morgue. Her late mother used to work there. After getting attacked by a zombie, Molly learns of a secret group called the Omegas, who police and protect the undead in New York City. And her mother was a legendary member. This book by James Ponti was published in 2012. It was followed by two sequels, called Blue Moon and Dark Days.
Dead City contains examples of:
- Academic Athlete: Molly describes Alex as having "supergeek brains in a quarterback's body".
- Action Girl: Natalie and Molly are trained Omegas who fight and defeat several undead.
- Annoying Younger Sibling: Grayson's younger brothers constantly argue and barge into his room.
- Attractive Zombie: Many zombies look like ordinary humans, and can pull off an attractive look. Taken Up to Eleven with Natalie, who becomes a zombie in Dark Days, and retains her model looks.
- Big Eater: Alex always eats an enormous lunch that would easily feed a group.Natalie: Alex eats more than any three people you've ever met. Try not to stare, he's very sensitive about it.
- Chekhov's Gunman: The lunatic who attacked Molly's mother turns out to be Marek, one of the very first and most dangerous undead.
- Friendly Zombie: The Type 1 zombies act like living humans and just want to live normal lives. Taken Up to Eleven with Molly's mom who completely retains her human personality after becoming a zombie (and continues working for Omega), and Natalie, who becomes a zombie in Dark Days.
- Gender-Equal Ensemble: The main team consists of two males (Grayson and Alex) and two females (Molly and Natalie).
- In Medias Res: The book starts after Molly has killed a zombie, and is waiting for the other Omegas to help her hide the body. Then it explains what happened before.
- Location Title: Dead City is the sewers, aqueducts, catacombs, and abandoned tunnels under Manhattan. Zombies spend time there so they won't attract attention.
- Mismatched Eyes: Both Molly and her mother have one green eye and one blue eye.
- Missing Mom: Molly's mother died before the story begins.
- Pretend We're Dead: For Molly's final exam, she has to blend in with a group of zombies.
- Secret Legacy: Molly's late mother used to be an Omega.