Christopher Brookmyre's second novel.
Tam Mc Innes, his son Paul, his friend Bob Hannah and Paul's roommate Cameron "Spammy" Scott have been arrested for the very bloody murder of media mogul Roland Voss. While the public and most of the authorities clamour for the accuseds' heads on platters, their lawyer Nicole Carrow isn't so sure of their guilt. And soon neither is Jack Parlabane, as he is quickly drawn into an investigation of an extensive conspiracy that runs very high in the government indeed.
Not to be confused with H. G. Wells' short story, "The Country of the Blind," nor with Michael Flynn's science fiction novel In the Country of the Blind.
This book contains examples of:
- Intrepid Reporter: Jack is still very much one of these
- Knife Nut: Harcourt
- Law Enforcement, Inc.: Knight's Little Helpers
- Never Suicide: the deaths of Donald Lafferty and Michael Swan
- No Celebrities Were Harmed: Roland Voss appears to be a Dutch Rupert Murdoch, with a bit of Robert Maxwell thrown in.
- Obfuscating Stupidity: Spammy is very much not what he appears to be
- Properly Paranoid: Jack again
- Sleazy Politician: Alastair Dalgleish and Michael Swan