Misty Elder is a new student at Adams County High and, due to her wealth, becomes a target for relentless bullying. This changes when she encounters a powerful being in the woods, who promises to give her the power of persuasion to ward off her bullies. In exchange, Misty helps her out on an ongoing experiment with the residents in her town, who are unaware of this being's existence or that they're being experimented on.
Everything is fine for a month, until the school's resident rageaholic is granted powers and unintentionally sets another student on fire, killing them and causing Misty and the other students who've been granted powers to have to flee to avoid being found out.
This story contains the following tropes:
- Abusive Parents: Douglas's parents are implied to be this.
- Heroic BSoD: Misty and Douglas to varying extents, after chapter 13.
- Manipulative Bitch: Celeste. She grants people powers that feed off of their individual flaws- for example, Mabel's ability to set people on fire feeds off of her anger management issues- and that are almost impossible to control because of that.
- Parental Abandonment: Misty's mother is borderline neglectful, and because of this, is never actually seen in the story.
- Power Incontinence: Pretty much all of the characters have this in the story, to varying degrees.