After years abroad, Selina Kyle returns to Gotham, pretending to be the rich heiress Holly Vanderhess. She's young, she's clever, she's dangerous.
Finding friends in Poison Ivy and Harley Quinn, she plans to take on the whole city!
Meanwhile, Luke Fox, son of Lucius Fox, wants to prove to Bruce Wayne that he can handle being the only vigilante in the city. Soon, he clashes with the mysterious Catwoman and her friends.
And how is the League of Shadows involved in all of this?
- Abusive Parents: Selina's mom is implied to be pretty abusive.
- Animal Motifs: The cat for Selina, obviously. She also used to be part of the Leopards, a girl gang. And of course the Bat for Luke.
- Big Brother Instinct: Well, Big Sister Instinct. Selina adores her little sister Maggie. In the end, it turns out that everything Selina did was to save Maggie, who was incurably ill with cystic fribrosis, and could only be saved by a Lazarus Pit. She succeeds too.
- Bi the Way: Harley is introduced as Joker's ex, and has a casual relationship with Ivy.
- Commitment Issues: Harley has them. Ivy is in love with her, but Harley doesn't want a relationship after what happened with the Joker.
- The Commissioner Gordon: The Trope Namer himself, in his usual role.
- Dating Catwoman: In a book about the Trope Namer, of course this trope shows up! Here it's Selina, obviously, and Luke, who are attracted to one another despite being on opposite sides.
- The Dreaded: The Joker. Everyone seems scared of him.
- Fight Clubbing: How Selina earns the money to take care of her little sister in the beginning of the book.
- Fire-Forged Friends: Selina and Ivy.
- The Ghost: Bruce Wayne never shows up, despite the book taking place in Gotham, and one of the main characters being his mentee and the other his comic girlfriend.
- Gondor Calls for Aid: Selina calls her old friends among the Leopards to protect the hospital during the riot. They come at once.
- Happily Adopted: Maggie Kyle, as arranged by Talia al Ghul as part of her deal with Selina. Maggie's parents turn out to be two very nice men who adopted her despite knowing that she was likely to die soon, and who she loves very much.
- Heartbroken Badass: Luke when Selina temporarily dies.
- Love Cannot Overcome: Ivy lets the police arrest Harley, despite being in love with her. At that point, however, Harley herself has realized that she needs help, and doesn't fight the police, either. Ivy expresses the hope the Harley can get the help she needs and really get better.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: Commissioner Gordon, as usual.
- Replacement Goldfish: Arguably Luke for Bruce, from a doylist perspective. In the comics, Selina and Bruce are of an age, and it's Bruce and Selina who have a romantic relationship. Luke and Selina are not particularly linked in the comics.
- The Reveal: Selina betrayed the League and stole the things she needs for a Lazarus Pit in order to heal her terminally ill little sister Maggie.
- True Companions: Selina and Ivy, and Selina and Luke by the end. Ivy and Luke seem to get along well enough, too.
- The Unmasking: Selina realizes Batwings true identity when she witnesses Luke have a panic attack very much like the one he had as Batwing earlier. Catwoman's identity is revealed [[spoiler:when she lets herself get arrested and brought to Arkham as part of her plan. Also, Luke realizes that Holly Vanderhess is actually Selina Kyle when he sees the a girl gang guard a hospital during the Joker's outbreak.
- Was It All a Lie?: Luke briefly wonders this when he learns that Holly is Catwoman. He then decides to catch her and ask.