Captain Pantoja and the Special Service (Spanish name: Pantaleón y las visitadoras) is a short novel of Mario Vargas Llosa about an army captain send to the jungle with a mission: to form a professional team of visitadoras (that is, prostitutes) to alleviate the troops needs. Basically, a mobile Red Light District. Hilarity ensues.
Tropes found in the book:
- All Men Are Perverts: Constantly played with. Its even more obvious at the end, when we see a lot of previous masculine characters with prostitutes.
- Band of Brothels
- Easy Evangelism
- The Fundamentalist
- Hooker with a Heart of Gold: Not gold, per se, but almost all the "visitadoras" are in fact very likeable (as in personality).
- Hungry Jungle: The jungle engulfs everyone in it and drives them slowly insane, proven by the soldiers horniness and the Arc sect.
- Japanese Ranguage: By a Chinese. Oh well.
- Lawful Stupid: Pantoja. He stands to his orders even if thats bad for him.
- Only Known by Their Nickname: Most of the "visitadoras".
- Reassigned to Antarctica: Pantoja, at the end.
- Red Light District
- Talk Show
- Unusual Euphemism: "Visitadoras".
- Write What You Know: Word of God says the story is based on fact. Make of that what you will.