All Seth Kinnaman has ever dreamed about is to be the best fighter there is and has dedicated his entire life to training to be the best. After some many years, he's finally ready to join the biggest tournament on Earth and join the world stage with hundreds of fierce competitors for the title.
Then all his dreams are shattered in a single moment...
When his opponent uses an illegal move on Seth during the semifinals, the injury he suffers leaves him blind and with no chance to ever achieve his dream. Left depressed, everything seems to be over when his manager and friend puts him in touch with a company that may be able to help him. That's when he's introduced to Bushido Online, a game that promises to keep his skills sharp while he figures out what his next move is going to be.
Set in feudal Japan, this VRMMORPG is the land of ninjas and samurai. A world where the most honorable warriors meet the vilest bandits and where mythical creatures roam free. When he'll enter that new reality, Seth will discover that while it's easy to make friends there, one doesn't have to try very hard to get his fair share of powerful enemies.
Soon he's going to have entire clans hunting him down as he struggles to learn the ropes and regain a sense of normalcy. Thankfully, Seth has a few things going for him: his extensive knowledge of combat and a never-say-die attitude.
Bushido Online is a LitRPG series written by Nikita Thorn first published on August 31st 2017 titled under The Battle Begins with two more books following titled Friends and Enemies and War Games.
The Series Show Examples of...
- Always Chaotic Evil: The Demonic Clan are the central antagonist of Bushido Online with an ongoing storyline involving their war with the city of Shinshioka.
- Ambiguous Timeperiod: Its not specifically stated at what point in the future the story takes place as all of Seth/Seiki's time is spent within the game.
- Boring, but Practical: Kentaro is the type of player who prefers practicing his craft skills over adventuring. Hes also the reason his circle of friends havent done broke from repairing their equipment.
- Butt-Monkey: Seiki has shades of this in the first two books partly because hes an unknown player in the middle of clan politics that he knows nothing about and rather not know. In the third book he does better and even has the respect of a large number of the player population.
- Casting a Shadow: The Demonic Clans abilities are based on shadows and darkness including corrupting the wildlife into minions and shadow-based arrows that cant be physically removed.
- Closed Circle: Technically this trope applies as the majority of the series takes place almost exclusively in the game-world.
- Colour-Coded for Your Convenience: In-Universe for Kitsunes as their abilities coincide with the color of their fur such as Karin, a white Kitsune, whose abilities seem to be centered around healing.
- Damn You, Muscle Memory!: Seiki was a former MMA fighter before joining the game and thus is more inclined towards hand-to-hand combat. This presents a problem when he first begins training as a swordsman as he's not use to fighting with a weapon reflexly. The good news is once he gets a handle on it, Seiki starts using a combination of the two leaving him an advantage over some of the other palyers.
- Dark Is Evil: The main setting of Bushido Online is locked in a war with The Demonic Clan. Inclduing black skin and red eyes, their applies are shadow based and the leader is a sadist whose favorite ability induces crippling fear in his opponents.
- Dark Is Not Evil: Ninjas on the other hand
- Fantasy Character Classes: There are so far been established to be six classes that the players can chose from which including Samurai (with Rōnin technically being a separate class), Ninja, Ryoushi, Hoshi, Kitsune, and Obake.
- Heroic Sacrifice: Seiki's master and friend Master Tsujihara performs Seppuku (an honorable ritual suicide) when the accused by the Shogun's guards capture him; taking the blame for his student Madea's plot with the Demonic Plan and protecting him.
- Honor Before Reason: For the majority of the second book, Seiki is trying to deliver a box to the Fuoka Army. When a band of player outlaws capture him for the package, he refuses to give it up even when the person who sent him on the quest tells him its ok to let them have it.
- Kitsune: A class obtainable by players which include Seikis friend Marin after completing a yet unnamed quest with different colors to choose from to gain different stat bonuses and abilities.
- Light Is Good: Light-based powers and abilities is the ultimate weapon against the [Dark Is Evil Demonic Clan]] with most Samurai/Ronin class players receiving a light infused sword from the Shogun as a basic upgrade.
- The Lost Lenore: Years ago Master Tsujihara loved a woman Hanae who went on to marry another man. [[spoiler: When her husband is unfairly executed on orders from the Shogun, Hanae asks Tsujihara to raise her son and then commits suicide in order to protect her son.]
- The Medic: Hoshis are this as a support class, close they have to an offensive attack is Hinder which just halves their enemies attack and speed. If Kentaro is any indication, this class seems popular with characters who dont prefer the combat aspect of the game.
- The Mentor: Seiki has two within Bushido Online with his friend and fellow player Ippei directing him with advice regarding gameplay and quests. Master Tsujihara is an NPC who teaches Seiki his swordsman skills and whose death greatly affects him.
- Naïve Newcomer: Seth never played video games before seeing them as a waste of time when he could be training. Thus when he joins Busido Online as "Seiki" he's completely and repeatedly thrown for a loop by the game mechanics.
- Ninja: One of the classes available prioritizing stealth and include abilities such as poison darts, Shurikens, and replaces Focused Strike with an ability called Shadow Strike.
- Rōnin: Seiki's class at the end of book one which unfortunate is acquired in a mission where his mentor Master Tsujihara dies thus becoming a 'masterless samurai."
- Sure, Let's Go with That: When Seth first enters the game, he discovers the NPCcharacters hear his name as "Seiki" (the closest Japanese equivalent) and after a couple tries just goes with it
- Voluntary Shapeshifter: One of Seiki's new friends after entering the game is Marin, a Kitsune whose abilities include transforming into a white fox. She also seems to have a great deal of fun in this form as she spends the majority of books transforming and running around in her fox form.
- Welcome to Corneria: The current Bushido Online is actually the third iteration of an older game adapted from years ago. As a result the NPCs can be rather stilted and limited in their dialogue.
- Western Samurai: Theres nothing to indicate the nationality of the other characters but its assumed that not all of them are Asian. Of course not all of them are samurai either.
- Youkai: Many of the monsters in the game world are based on actual Japanese folklore
- You Killed My Parents: Madea's motivation for plotting against the Shogun and striking a deal with the Demonic Clan is to get revenge for the deaths of his parents.