A series of children's books written and illustrated by Jill Barklem. The first four books in the series, which focus on seasons, consist of:
- Summer Story (1980)
- Autumn Story (1980)
- Winter Story (1980)
- Spring Story (1980)
The other books in the series have original stories, and those books are:
- The Secret Staircase (1983)
- The High Hills (1986)
- Sea Story (1990)
- Poppy's Babies (1994)
The series focuses on a community of fieldmice who live together in the English countryside. The characters include Lord and Lady Woodmouse and their daughter Primrose, Mr and Mrs Toadflax and their son Wilfred, Basilnote , Lady Daisy, Old Mrs. Eyebright, Poppy and Mr and Mrs Apple.
The books have been adapted for television by Cosgrove Hall and The BBC, as a stop-motion series titled The Enchanted World of Brambly Hedge. When Cosgrove Hall ran out of stories to adapt, they began making original stories for the BBC, but they had to stop after just two were completed because of the death of Charlotte Coleman, one of the cast members, from an asthma attack.
In 2003, a Compilation Movie called A Year in Brambly Hedge was released, featuring the first 4 specials, which were linked by material which had been completed before Charlotte Coleman's death.
The books provide examples of:
- Companion Cube: Primrose has one of these, which is her stuffed bunny that she calls Bunny.
- Fearless Fool: Wilfred.
- Scenery Porn: The books are lovingly illustrated with a wealth of warm colors and background details, from lavish clothing to stocked cabinets. The television series also works hard to replicate this look.
- Woodland Creatures: The main characters, obviously.
The TV series provides examples of:
- Babysitting Episode: There are two of these: Poppy's Babies and Primrose in Charge.
- Birthday Episode: Spring Story.
- Does This Remind You of Anything?: The series may somewhat remind you of another Cosgrove Hall TV series starring woodland creatures.
- The Great Flood: One of these occurs in the special Wilfred to the Rescue.
- He Who Must Not Be Seen: The Weasel, who is the main antagonist of the special Autumn Story.
- Winter Royals: Lord and Lady Woodmouse become these at the Winter Ball in Winter Story.