An ongoing Hetalia: Axis Powers fanfic chronicle detailing the life of Svetlana Ivanova Avtailkin, also known as the Confederation of Demonic Islands from birth to her continuing adventures through life. It is also an alternate history of sorts starting when the story reaches 1997, everything before that is historically accurate to a degree, though minor events are altered slightly but still on the timeline.
Alone on a distant island in the Kuril archipelago, a new nation has come into the world. After finding her cloaked in a bearskin, her people call her Kim-un Kamui, believing she is an incarnation of the god of bears. Unknowing of the outside world, she finds peace among her people, the Ainu. However when Japan arrives on her shores in the 1800s it signals the end of her youth and the decline of her people. Stripped of everything that defined her she begins her life of servitude, tossed about between the two nations she borders and caught on the wrong side of three of the worst conflicts in history. Amnesiac and terrified she's sold off to France as part of a trade agreement with Russia, where her luck changes at long last. After regaining her independence she finds her home is ruled by a despot, with revolution brewing will her altruism win out, or will she play the villain she always dreaded the world saw her as? Any more beyond that becomes spoilers for the rest of the main series.
Hetalia characters can be found on the character pages for that series, otherwise characters are here with the rest of this series.
Tropes that apply to Ballad Of The World:
- Always Save the Girl: Everyone seems to be interested in saving their love interests be they humans or villains.
- Berserk Button: Several show up, Belarus and Ukraine for Svetlana, committing crimes in the name of good for Nero.
- Be All My Sins Remembered: The reason why Svetlana never takes out her war decorations and avoids even celebrating her birthday.
- Beware the Nice Ones: Finland and Ukraine
- Bittersweet Ending: World War II, the only thing that stops it being a Downer Ending is the fact Nero is safe.
- Don't You Dare Pity Me!: Spoken word for word by Belarus during the rebellion arc.
- Fate Worse than Death: What Prussia sees being sent to live with Russia after the war trial.
- Forced into Evil: Svetlana and the rest of the Axis powers.
- Heartbroken Badass: Belarus
- Historical Domain Character: King George VI and King Edward VIII show up for a couple of moments.
- Ineffectual Sympathetic Villain: Invoked with Catullus and Octavia, they know they're on the wrong side of the war. As such they do everything to ensure that their damage is kept to a minimum.
- Odd Friendship: Harun and Belarus, Svetlana and Ace both of which double as Intergenerational Friendship.
- Stopped Caring: Kamui for most of her early appearances, Svetlana when she Face Heel Turns.
- World War II: As a colony of Imperial Japan, it's the real start of Svetik turning into a Pelagian Villain continuing on into the modern era.