The book is about Jeremy Ross, whose parents retired from the family business of hunting monsters for unknown reasons. The story starts when Jeremy's uncle, aunt, and cousins drop out of the sky and offer to let him stay with them so they can train him to become a hunter as well. He says yes.
Early on, Jeremy becomes disturbed by his uncle Timothy and cousin Blake's attitudes towards the supernatural and by the fact that he's dealing with things much more powerful than he expected.
New chapters are currently uploaded every Friday.
Abominable contains examples of:
- The Ace: Cal, if Blake and Finn are to be believed.Finn: Cal is literally the only person in this town more dangerous than me.
- Badass Boast: A blunt one from Finn to Uncle Timothy in Chapter 2.Finn: If I wanted you dead, you would be.
- Fantastic Racism: Uncle Timothy seems quite harsh on Finn despite the latter having apparently done nothing wrong besides existing. Blake agrees with him, though Jeremy takes issue with it.
- Fiery Redhead: Finn's reaction to Uncle Timothy trying to intimidate and interrogate him involves grabbing him, telling him that he could kill Timothy if he wanted, and calling him an insolent child.
- Flash Step: Finn obviously has some kind of Super Speed, because he was able to move without Jeremy tracking the motion at all.
- Genius Bonus: Blake's comment in Chapter 3 about waiting for three in the morning to visit Maya. Foreshadowed by the chapter title: The Witching Hour.
- Jumped at the Call: In the event that his parents didn't let him become a hunter, Jeremy was preparing to sneak out and go with his cousins anyway.
- Noodle Incident: Jeremy's mom cuts him off before he starts talking about the gorgon.
- One-Word Title
- Playing with Fire: Discussed and implied, when Stephanie reveals what, exactly, Finn is."How, exactly," I said, very slowly, "is it practical to try intimidating a phoenix at a gas station?"
- What the Hell, Hero?: A brief one from Jeremy to Blake in Chapter 3 for the latter's Fantastic Racism. It doesn't take.