A Grey World is an ongoing Web Serial Novel updating twice-weekly. It is an action / Coming of Age story with science fiction elements. The plot centers around a young girl, Alexis, as she contents with issues ranging from severe bullying and gang violence to social anxiety.
Can be read here
The series provides examples of:
- Action Girl - Alexis
- Abusive Parent - With an addict for a mother, this is kind of inevitable.
- Alternate Timeline - It's set in either an alternate timeline or an undisclosed future. There are significant differences hinted. Montreal is discussed as part of the USA but never commented on. Space travel exists, but technology hasn't advanced beyond what would be reasonable today.
- Ax-Crazy - Alex can be very protective of her new friend. When Beth get's hurt in Chapter 2.27 she gets a bit crazy.
- Crapsack World - It is mostly set in an unpoliced area of Montreal governed by gangs.
- Combat Pragmatist - Alexis won't shy away from fighting dirty.
- Curb-Stomp Battle - When Alexis finally fights back against her long-time bully in Chapter 2.34. She's used to fighting people twice her size by this point.
- Faster-Than-Light Travel - Faster than light travel can be accomplished through 'Kerenhowser Gates'. However, the journey to set up a gate at the desired destination must be performed using conventional means. They haven't featured heavily in the story.
- For Science! - Dr Romanoff's main drive for his experiments.
- Friendless Background - Alexis's history of abuse and bullying makes her resistant to letting anyone close.
- Groin Attack - A staple for Alexis
- Hidden Badass - Often taken advantage of by Alexis.
- Heroic BSoD - Alexis in the aftermath of her Ax-Crazy.
- Improvised Weapon - Alexis always has an eye out for a potential weapon. See Locking MacGyver in the Store Cupboard below.
- I Shall Taunt You - With nothing left to attack with but her voice, Alexis falls back on this in Chapter 1.40
- LEGO Genetics - Dr Romanoff's experiments. It is portrayed realistically and the results are within reason. Implied to be Alexis herself.
- Locking MacGyver in the Store Cupboard - Alexis doesn't quite escape as per the trope but manages to free herself from her bounds and improvise a number of weapons in Chapter 1.39
- Mad Scientist - Dr Romanoff
- No Social Skills - Alexis's lack of social contact beyond an abusive mother leaves her lacking when it comes to the skills needed for social contact.
- Only a Flesh Wound - Subverted at times. Gunshot wounds are treated very seriously. Alexis gets shot through body armour, and while she is mobile enough to fight for a short time afterwards it soon catches up to her. However, her apparent accelerated healing ability allows her to shrug off more than most, and recover much faster.
- Paralyzing Fear of Sexuality - Alexis comes off as naive when it comes to her sexuality. She is implied to be lesbian She is either blissfully unaware of, or highly worked up about implied romantic contact.
- Police Are Useless - They've just given up policing the Island, unless you can put a lot of pressure on important people.
- Grin of Audacity - Not uncommon for Alexis. She seems to enjoy freaking people out.
- Socially Awkward Hero - Alexis struggles in social situations.
- Transparent Closet - Both in-universe characters and readers have picked up on Alexis's behaviour towards Beth.
- Will They or Won't They? - The growing romance between Alexis and Beth.