The Good Witch of the West (Nishi no Yoki Majo) is an eight book series of fantasy light novels by Noriko Ogiwara. The series has been adapted into both a manga series and a thirteen episode television anime series broadcast in Japan in 2006. The story revolves around a fifteen-year-old commoner who discovers that she is really a princess.
The usual Rags to Royalty story where it's discussed that Firiel Dee is the daughter of a princess who ran away to get married and hence is one of the few who can take the throne. Her childhood friend Roux is there to help protect her all the way and includes a strong cast from the royal side.
Unfortunately only the first two novels of the series have been translated officially to English. And considering how the series was finished in 2003 and the closure of Tokyopop it may never happen. The ongoing manga on the other hand went to book six before the translation ended... that series only ran until the eighth volume until it stopped. Fan translations have yet to pick up this series.
For Noriko Ogiwara's other orphaned series see The Jade Trilogy
Not to be confused with any related to Land of Oz and the Wicked Witch of the West.
- Betty and Veronica: Rune is the Betty for Firiel, while Eusis is the Veronica. You can also say that Firiel is the Betty to Leandra's Veronica
- Bishōnen: Rune/Roux is this to a T. Eusis included...plus Lot....Okay A LOT of the Male Cast.
- Childhood Friend Romance: Congratulations Rune!!
- Disguised in Drag: Done twice. Once by Rune and another time by Firiel.
- Everything's Better with Princesses
- First Girl Wins: Played with. When Leandra tries to seduce Rune, he tries to stay true to Firiel, but Leandra almost wins with her "Fascination" if not for Firiel coming in before Leandra can steal a kiss. But, yeah first girl wins.
- First-Name Basis: Adel was very pleased when Firiel called her by her name instead of her title.
- Generation Xerox: Straight with Firiel and her mother- both hid their gender when meeting their Heretic lovers, have the same "Aura" of good, and Both chose Love over Queenly duty, and both fell for bookish heretics. Played with by Rune/Roux- Even though the Professor and him aren't blood related, they both are heretic's, have a thirst for knowledge (Especially about the sky/world and the wall. They also fell for Queen Candidates
- The Glasses Gotta Go: Rune/Roux is extremely bishounen after he takes off the glasses.
- Heart Is Where the Home Is: Kinda. Rune represents Sera Field, the nice homely place, while Eusis represents the fancy Noble Life. Guess who Firiel chooses!
- Like Brother and Sister: Firiel originally feels this way about Rune/Roux....not realizing how he wishes she would see him FINALLY as a man
- Long-Haired Pretty Boy: Lot
- Love Triangle: and How! We have Firiel/Eusis/Rune and Firiel/Igraine/Rune and Rune/Firiel/Leandra and Adale/Firiel/Rune and Adale/Firiel/Eusis....it goes ON AND ON!!!
- Megane: Roux/Rune
- Nerd Glasses: Rune/Roux. And when he takes them off...well....
- Oblivious to Love: and How! It takes Rune to get that he is in love with Firiel by kissing her passionately after she acts ONCE AGAIN as a big sister to Rune after he has a nightmare EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE THE SAME AGE. It's a bit frustrating to us Fangirl Shipper's, y'now.
- Ojou Ringlets: An evil example from Leandra.
- Passive-Aggressive Kombat: Adale was noted, by her enemy whom she'd just beaten in this, to never be at a loss for words.
- Royal Blood
- School Girl Lesbians: Tauras, the Girls' Academy, seems to have quite a few.
- Shipper on Deck: Adale gleefully writes what amounts to in-universe Yaoi fanfics that unsubtly pair off both of the female lead's male suitors with each other. It is implied that the reason she fantasizes about this is so she can claim the heroine for herself, although nothing comes of it.
- Spell My Name with an "S": Rune is called Roux is some translations, though in the Japanese versions he's called Ruu.
- Adel and Adale switches quite a bit.
- The Evil Princess
- Yaoi Fangirl: See Shipper on Deck, not to mention all the fans of the yaoi novels.