In a world, many humans have great magical potential. However, there exists those that have greater potential who are known as 'Strays' or 'Otherworlder'. They are people who come from a world known as 'Japan' that have been summoned into this world through a ritual. They are known for possessing such great magical potential that they have been seen as causes of great calamities. As a result, the Church has deemed it a Necessary Evil to execute them before they can become a threat.
Menou is one of these executioners. After executing one 'Stray', she learns the existence of another 'Stray' named Akari that has been summoned at the same time. When she attempts to fulfill her duties, she learns first hand that Akari's abilities make it impossible for Menou to kill her without help. After tricking Akari into believe she is her ally, they go off on a journey while Menou attempts to eliminate Akari permanently. However, will her feelings regarding this 'duty' remain the same, or will they begin to waver over time.
The Executioner and Her Way of Life is an ongoing Isekai yuri Light Novel series written by Mato Sato and illustrated by Nilitsu. As of April 2021, five volumes have been released in Japan. It is licensed by Yen Press, who began releasing the series in the West in March 2021. It has an ongoing manga adaptation that began monthly serialization in June 2020. It was announced during January 2021 that it would receive an anime adaptation at an unspecified time.
This series contains examples of:
- Action Girl: Executioners, such as Menou and Momo are this by default.
- Apocalypse Maiden: The native residents of Menous world are capable of utilizing a power called Guidance, which allows them to wield unique abilities. The compatibility of Guidance with Strays is far too strong and presents the threat of them losing control over their powers and destroy the world. This is why the church and government of Menou's world assassinates any and every Stray that crosses into their world so as to prevent a situation like that from ever happening.
- Clingy Jealous Girl: Momo is this to Menou.
- Decoy Protagonist: The boy introduced in the first chapter seems like he could potentially be important to the story, but he was used as a Sacrificial Lion to showcase how dangerous Menou and executioners are.
- Foreshadowing: Momo shows concern regarding Menou handling a long term assignment, and she states she doesn't believe Menou is suited for such a task.
- Healing Factor: Akari was told that her power is healing, but Menou discovers that it involves time resetting her injuries to before they happen which makes it impossible for Menou to kill her.
- Hitman with a Heart: It is established early on that Menou is not a heartless killer, and she feels regrets over the sins of her past killings.
- In Love with the Mark: The premise of the story involves Menou developing feelings for Akari over the course of their journey.
- Jumped at the Call: When Menou offers to take Akari away on a journey, Akari immediately takes her up on the offer because she believes meeting Menou was fate.
- Naïve Newcomer: Due to only arriving in this world, Akari is this by default.
- Necessary Evil: Menou sees herself as this to protect her world against potential calamities. She doesn't like killing the Strays, and she knows what she did to her previous victims was wrong, but she does it because she believes she has to.
- You Monster!: Menou is seen as this by the knights in Chapter Two of the manga.
- Yuri Genre: This series is labeled as this. Akari states early on that she sees meeting Menou as fate while Menou feelings for Akari develop overtime.