The Different World Magic Is Too Far Behind is a Japanese web/light novel written by Gamel Hitsuji. The novel was adapted into a Manga drawn by Comta and published by Overlap. The Light Novel is illustrated by Himesuz to NEKONABE Ao (from v7) and published by Overlap with 8 volumes and ongoing.
Felmenia Stingray was a genius magician. She quickly became the most distinguished magician of the Astel Kingdom after her discovery of white fire magic, which had the power to burn anything.
However, the world is in peril due to the Demon King. The kingdom's court magicians perform a summoning ritual for heroes and bring forth a hero and two youths, a boy and a girl. Unlike the girl, the young man refused to fight the Demon King alongside the Hero and demanded to be sent back to his world. The kingdom, angry with his behavior, locked him away.
Now Felmenia stands before the same young man with her strongest magic, the white flame, being completely useless, and asks who he is. It was already obvious to her that this man was far stronger than she was. To this, he simply responds, "Yakagi Suimei, a magician."
Has a manga adaptation. Needs Wiki Magic Love.
Beware of unmarked spoilers!!!
Isekai Mahou wa Okureteru contains examples of:
- Baby Morph Episode: Lefille has this all the time whenever she depletes her magic.
- Bullying the Dragon: Having a traditional magician against a modern magician is like pitting a mouse to fight a cat.
- Beauty, Brains and Brawn: At first with 2 boys and 1 girl.
- Chick Magnet: Both Suimei and his friend attracted a lot of girls. Suimei has four while his friend has three, though there are speculations that Suimei has attracted more girls back on earth.
- Clueless Chick Magnet: Both of them are unaware of the affections of the girls that they are attracting.
- Chuunibyou: Mizuki used to be before the start of the entire series, though apparently a spirit that is possessing her has now manifested into her chuuni personality as Io Kuzami.
- Curb-Stomp Battle: Suimei and Lefille defeat two Adventurers to pass as Adventurers.
- Hero of Another Story: This particular light novel centers on the person who more-or-less looks like The Rival to The Hero and centers on this person's exploits.
- Elemental Powers: How most magic is used in the other world.
- Evil Is Not a Toy: A magician rival to Felmenia summons a Demon to take care of Suimei and Felmenia, but, to his dismay, cannot control it as Suimei explains that this Demon is not alive and thus, cannot be controlled.
- Freudian Trio: At first with Suimei, Reiji, and Mizuki.
- Id: Reiji, being the typical hero who acts first before thinking.
- Superego: Suimei, trained as an elite magician since childhood with the results of him being mostly calm, intelligent, cunning, logical,and pragmatic.
- Ego: Mizuki, being somewhat of the balance of the two where she is almost as emotional as Reiji and would kind of think things through like Suimei.
- Nerds Are Sexy: Felmenia fell smitten with Suimei realizing how much power and skill he possesses.
- Our Mages Are Different: Modern-day mages compared to the other world mages.
- Reasonable Authority Figure: The King is kind to his people and inquires Suimei first rather than accusing him for what happened to Felmenia.
- Shaming the Mob: After the Adventurers exile Lefille, Suimei abandons them to follow her.
- Summon Everyman Hero: Is how this novel began but with a twist of where 2 bystanders accompanied the hero with one of them being a powerful magician and that there are other people being summoned as heroes in different kingdoms.
- The Chosen One: Shana Reiji and others who were also summoned into other kingdoms.
- ¡Three Amigos!: At first with Suimei, Reiji, and Mizuki until Suimei splits off with the two for their own objectives.
- Took a Level in Badass: The magic from the world Suimei and his friends came from outclasses everything the other world has to offer.
- Mage Hunt: Suimei has been hiding his status as a magician out of fear of being hunted down and getting his closest friends in danger.
- Wrong Context Magic: Everyone in the other world mostly use elemental magic, however Suimei uses his own world's magic which is heavily focused on spirituality and religion (i.e. Kabbalah magic) as well as being far superior with the other world's people believing it to be impossible.