However, everything changes one night when Thor is chosen as one of the Guardians of the Savior, a person from another world who is destined to save Maydare. At the same time, Makia regains the memories of her past life as a high school girl from modern-day Japan. The two are split apart, but Makia is determined to reunite with him again and tell him her true feelings, and does so by enrolling into Lune Ruschia Magic School, the most prestigious magic school in the world.
Tales of Reincarnation in Maydare (Maydare Tensei Monogatari) is a light novel series by Midori Yuma (author of Kakuriyo: Bed and Breakfast for Spirits) and illustrated by Esora Amaichi. The series is actually a remake of an earlier series where much of the same concepts carried over. A manga adaptation drawn by Nana Natsunishi is currently serialized in Square Enix's GFantasy magazine.
This series provides examples of:
- Cannot Spit It Out: Kazuha couldn't confess her feelings for Saitou, which becomes her dying regret.
- Dramatic Irony: Airi blames herself for the death of Tooru and the disappearance of her best (and only) friend Kazuha, as trying to come between them inadvertently set the stage for those events. She ends up in Maydare after wishing for her happiness upon realizing she'd lost the only people who truly cared about her. Except she's unknowingly repeating the same mistakes in Maydare with the exact same people, once again trying to keep Thor for herself and treating Makia as a villain getting in the way of their romance.
- Hands-Off Parenting: Makia's parents are noted to have a laidback style of parenting, but even they have their limits, such as the period of time where Makia became absorbed into study for entrance exams after Thor was taken away to the capital.
- Incapable of Disobeying: It turns out that Guardian marks gain this ability over time, forcing the bearer to instinctually value the Savior above all else, regardless of whatever other action they might want to take at that moment. The original fourth Guardian, Eugene Batiste refused to reveal themselves because of this, not wanting to abandon his ill fiancée.
- Internal Reveal: Airi learns at the end of Volume 2 that the supposedly shrewd villainess Makia and her missing best friend Kazuha are one-and-the-same, after the later chews her out for treating the world as if it's exact the same as the story she wrote.
- I Will Find You: The plot is kicked off with Makia determined to reunite with Thor after he is taken away.
- Past-Life Memories: Makia regains her past life memories during a meteor shower; though she had dreams about them before, she didn't know what they meant until then. Receiving these memories have no affect on her personality. On the flipside, when she starts regaining the memories of her ancestor, the Scarlet Witch, she briefly developed their vindictive personality, and she notes on a few occasions that she still has an urge to act on those feelings during stressful situations.. At the end of Volume 3, Makia learns that reincarnation is a normal and known quantity in this universe, and while actually remembering any of one's past lives isn't exactly common, it isn't unheard of.
- Perfectly Arranged Marriage: This was averted for Makia and Thor due to Thor being chosen as a Guardian.
- Reincarnate in Another World:
- Makia's past life is Kazuha Oda, a regular Japanese high school girl who got reincarnated into the world of Maydare after being murdered by a mysterious man.
- While Thor is quickly shown to be a reincarnation of Tooru Saitou, Kazuha's childhood friend and crush, he doesn't have his memories at all. Makia chooses not to tell him this.
- Wizarding School: This is what Lune Ruschia Magic School is.