Sakura Hiden: Thoughts of Love, Riding Upon a Spring Breeze, written by Tomohito Ōsaki, is set a few months after the events of The Last. Sakura and Ino have opened a clinic within the Konoha Hospital that would assess and treat the mental health of children who have been affected by the Great War. The two kunoichi travel to the allied village of Suna after a request to offer their advice so that Suna can open a clinic of their own. Meanwhile, a mysterious man wearing a cloak and bearing a grudge against Konoha appears.
Naruto Hiden (a.k.a. Naruto Secret Chronicles) is a light novel series which explores the stories of various characters after the conclusion of the original manga. Though each book is illustrated by Masashi Kishimoto, they are written by different authors. And yes, they are part of the canon continuity.
You can read the english translation herenote . Please follow the translators' request to not copy or distribute the text.
Be warned: SPOILERS ahead. The events of the Epilogue are considered common knowledge, so read no further if you're not up to speed with the manga.
Tropes present in the novels include:
- A-Cup Angst: Sakura still gets depressed because she's not as well-endowed as Tsunade or Hinata.
- Badass in Distress / Damsel out of Distress: Sakura is kidnapped by Kido to lure Sasuke to him and keeps her restrained with chakra-disrupting bonds. Unsuprisingly, years of experience and her smarts leads to her escape and subsequent Roaring Rampage of Revenge just as Ino and Sai come to her rescue.
- Beta Couple: Naruto/Hinata and Sai/Ino serve as this to Sasuke/Sakura.
- Bullying a Dragon: Kido manages to bully two dragons at the same time by kidnapping Sakura to draw out Sasuke.
- Buxom Is Better: Sakura thinks that one of the reasons Hinata was able to get Naruto's attention was her well-endowed figure.
- Call-Back: The Prologue conists of Sakura's memories of Sasuke, showing how their relationship evolved over time.
- In the beginning, Sasuke called her "annoying" in anger because she was acting like a jerk towards Naruto.
- When he left the village, she remembers both the "annoying" and the "thank you" he added before knocking her out, saying that this is what made her hope one day he would come back and they could be together.
- After the War ended, she wanted to follow him on his journey but he stopped her, telling her she had nothing to do with his sins. He then tapped her forehead (just like Itachi used to do to him) and promised her "Until next time. Thank you."
- Cannot Spit It Out: Ino admits to Sakura she can't express her growing feeling towards Sai.
- Can't Act Perverted Toward a Love Interest: Ino, who had taken every opportunity to hug Sasuke when they were kids and even used her *ahem* charms to distract Neji, is shy and uncertain around Sai. Her reaction to seeing him half-naked says it all.
- Friend to All Children: Sakura and Ino start a clinic specifically so they can help children affected by the War.
- Gossipy Hens: Sakura and Ino are not above gossiping about other characters' love lives. They believe that Shikamaru and Temari are a couple. And that there might be something between Choji and Karui.
- I Have Boobs, You Must Obey!: Tsunade jokingly tells Sakura that the best way for a girl to attract a man's attention is to use her bust.
- Impostor Forgot One Detail: When Sakura sees "Sasuke" being harassed by some ANBU, she's surprised he's back in the Hidden Leaf; then, she notes that Sasuke would never tolerate such abuse from anyone and realises -a bit too late- that it's a trap.
- I Will Wait for You: Sakura acknowledges that her relationship with Sasuke boils down to this.
- Lighter and Softer: Compared to the previous two novels. Sakura's story is more about love.
- Like Brother and Sister: Naruto and Sakura's friendship has evolved to this point.
- Oh, Crap!: Kido has this reaction when Sakura breaks the restraints binding her hands and feet.
- Please Put Some Clothes On: Ino's reaction when she sees Sai in his underwear is to blush, avert her eyes and ask him why would he open the door un-dressed like that. He explains he was taking a shower when she knocked the doorbell.
- The Remnant: Some of Danzo's old associates in ROOT (which should tell you all you need to know about their moral code) are still around, conspiring from the shadows.
- Suicidal Overconfidence: Kido believes that he can capture Sasuke, one of the strongest people
aliveto have ever lived.