Only the ones who have accepted everything.
Can get the right to know the truth.
Occultic;Nine (オカルティック・ナイン Okarutikku Nain) is a Japanese light novel series written by Chiyomaru Shikura, the creator of Steins;Gate. The series is licensed in English by J-Novel Club. A manga, illustrated by Ganjii, began serialization in October 2015. An anime television series adaptation by A-1 Pictures aired in the Fall 2016 Anime season for 12 episodes, beginning on 9 October. A visual novel adaptation for the PS4, Vita and Xbox ONE was released in Japan on November 9, 2017. A Nintendo Switch version is in the works.
The story follows nine idiosyncratic individuals, linked by the "Choujou Kagaku Kirikiri Basara" occult summary blog run by 17-year-old second-year high school student Yuuta Gamon. Little incongruities that occur around these nine eventually lead to a larger, unimaginable event that may alter what is considered common sense in this world.
Despite the semicolon in the title and being from the same creators, the series is not part of the Science Adventure Series (SciADV) but is instead part of its own universe (titled the Science Visual Novels Series) with upcoming visual novel Anonymous;Code. The SciADV Series do however exist as their fictional game versions in this universe. Well at least until Shikura suddenly went back on that claim.
The anime is licensed in America by Aniplex USA and in Australia by Madman Entertainment. Aniplex are releasing the series with an English dub by Bang Zoom! Entertainment in 2 Blu-ray sets, with Volume 1 releasing on September 26th and Volume 2 on December 26, 2017.
Occultic;Nine contains examples of:
- Artifact Title: The title may lose its meaning once Asuna Kisaki enters the picture. This is later shown to instead be related to the time dilation the cast experiences caused by their existence as deceased souls.
- Circling Monologue: Taken Up to Eleven in Episode 6 during a conversation between Shun and Aria, which the camera itself rotates as the two speak.
- The Dog Was the Mastermind: The flamboyant bartender has been the leader of the Society of Eight Gods of Fortune, and the one behind the murders of Yuta's and Sarai's fathers.
- FBI Agent: Asuna Kisaki is one and she is also a high school student.
- Foreshadowing: Plenty to the fact that most of the main cast are dead. In particular, they have no shadows.
- Freeze-Frame Bonus: The fast moving montage in Episode 1 briefly features a shot of the dead bodies of the main cast.
- Gag Boobs: Ryoka's are huge to a ridiculous extent.
- Motor Mouth: Yuta speaks like this when he's excited. The Nebulous Evil Organisation also talk like this in their meetings.
- Also worth noting that all the characters in fact speak faster than normal due to the pacing of the series itself is faster than normal, all thanks to being rather compressed.
- Nebulous Evil Organisation / The Omniscient Council of Vagueness: The Society of Eight Gods of Fortune seems to be this.
- Shout-Out: The classic Steins;Gate phrase "El Psy Kongroo" is uttered by Moritsuka in Episode 7.
- Also the "I failed, I failed, I failed... " from Suzuha's note.
- The Stinger: Several episodes end with this.
- Title Drop: Done by Yuta in the final episode.
- Villainous Breakdown: The albino kid completely breaks and goes full-on Ax-Crazy mode after Asuna manages to shoot and wound him in the arm.
- Wham Episode: Episode 6 reveals that most of the main cast were Dead All Along but were completely unaware of it.
- Wham Shot: The Stinger for Episode 10 shows Ririka is missing from the morgue.