Meet Mayo Kagura, age 15, and new transfer student to Hoshinomiya Fuuka Academy in Hokkaido, Japan. She's got psychic powers and a large set of handcuffs, and no idea how she managed to get either. When she gets caught in an intrascholastic war between other psychic-powered individuals (including her partial-amnesiac childhood friend, Shion Tennouji), Mayo learns that someone out there is deliberately trying to awaken a terrible power sealed within her. As flashes of this "alternate personality" eventually manifest and cause widespread damage to the school, will Mayo and her new schoolmates make it through the year in one piece?
This light novel is an Alternate Continuity to the Mai-HiME anime series, so expect to see a handful of familiar characters (Shizuru, Haruka, Natsuki, Yukino, etc.), even if their roles aren't exactly the same as you remember them.
Mai-HiME Destiny provides examples of:
- Bald of Awesome: Rei Kanzaki, Reito's older brother and principal of the academy.
- Boke and Tsukkomi Routine: Midori and Natsuki, respectively. It's even lampshaded.
- Cell Phones Are Useless: Mayo asks why Shizuru and the student council don't use their cell phones to contact the police, to which Shizuru says they wouldn't get any reception even if they were allowed.
- Chained by Fashion: Mayo is shackled with a pair of dragon handcuffs that keep her powers in check.
- Improbably Female Cast: The student body has a 70:30 girl-to-boy ratio.
- Katanas Are Just Better: Shizuru is shown to be extremely skilled with one, as she is able to dismantle a group of yakuza men with ease.
- Laser-Guided Amnesia: Shion has very little recollection of her prior involvement with Mayo, not even when Mayo kisses her upon their first meeting since Mayo's transfer.
- Measuring Day: Chapter 4, when Shion notices something off about Mayo's dragon tattoo/birthmark.
- Mind Probe: Yukino and Akane are capabile of reading minds.
- New Transfer Student: The Mai-HiME series in general seems to love using this trope.
- Psychic Powers of many stripes. For example, Mayo and Nao are capable of telekinesis, and Shion is a user of psychometry (the ability to discern the history of an object simply by touching it).
- Schoolgirl Lesbians: Mayo, and she's not the least bit shy about it, either. Also, Shizuru.
- Smug Snake: Tomoe again, though she's much more competent and capable than her Mai-Otome counterpart.
- Student Council President: Shizuru.
- Telepathy: One of Shion's special abilities. She seems to share some kind of telepathic connection with Mayo.