Konoha Hiden: The Perfect Day for a Wedding, written by Shō Hinata, is set a few days before Naruto and Hinata's wedding ceremony. Kakashi Hatake has tasked the Konoha 11 with a very important, top-secret mission: each one of them must find a wedding gift. However, that proves to be a task not so easily accomplished...
Naruto Hiden (a.k.a. Naruto Secret Chronicles) is a light novel series which explores the stories of various characters after the conclusion of the original manga. Though each book is illustrated by Masashi Kishimoto, they are written by different authors. And yes, they are part of the canon continuity—having been adapted as episodes 494 to 500 of the Shippuden anime.
You can read the english translation herenote . Please follow the translators' request to not copy or distribute the text.
Be warned: SPOILERS ahead. The events of the Epilogue are considered common knowledge, so read no further if you're not up to speed with the manga.
Tropes present in the novels include:
- Be Yourself: Tenten's first idea for the perfect wedding gift is to offer Naruto and Hinata some unique kunai from her extensive collection. However, is that really such a good idea? Won't that make it seem like she's only interested in ninja weapons? Maybe something a bit more feminine would be appropriate... She spends a long time agonizing over this but after seeing Lee and hearing about his even weirder gift, she decides she's just going to be herself and give them the kunai.
- Big Eater: Choji devours a huuuge meal while talking with Shikamaru. Appropriately, his gift to Naruto and Hinata is a free meal coupon at an expensive restaurant. A meal for three... Shikamaru is aghast at this.
- Book Dumb: Kiba doesn't know who the Senju clan were, to Shino's exasparation. Before offering the Honey Wine he, Shino and Kurenai got for Naruto and Hinata, he asks his teacher for a quick history lesson so that he won't embarrass himself while bragging about their unique gift.
- Butt-Monkey: Kakashi asks Yamato to take care of a few things during the wedding; Yamato ends up saddled with all the preparations while Tsunade supervises and offers suggestions.
- Cloud Cuckoo Lander: Lee and Guy decide to buy the happy couple dumbbellsnote , thinking there can be no gift better than this to prepare someone for the harsh reality of married life: carrying groceries, taking care of children, fixing things... They're going to need to train to be able to cope with all that.
- Cloudcuckoolander's Minder: Tenten has taken it upon herself to keep Lee and Guy under control during the wedding; she's secretly enjoying herself during all this.
- Denser and Wackier: Episode 495 (which focuses on Rock Lee, because of course) is probably the most bizarre the main series has ever been, with the humor being highly reminiscent of Rock Lee's Springtime of Youth.
- Flowers of Femininity: For Naruto and Hinata's wedding, Hinata wears a white flower in her hair during the ceremony, and then two red flowers in her hair during the reception.
- Forgotten Fallen Friend: Averted, as always.
- Lee and Tenten think of Neji as they're trying to decide on a wedding gift. Lee even laments that it's getting harder every day to imagine Neji's reaction to a situation.
- Hinata also thinks of Neji while waiting for the wedding to start, making a silent prayer to the sky.
- Naruto looks intently not at the sky, but at his father's face carved on the Hokage monument as he stands next to Hinata in the waiting room.
- Funny Background Event: In the anime adaptation, Orochimaru can be seen doing random things, with Yamato watching.
- Lighter and Softer: This novel has no mysterious antagonists bent on destroying the world; it's just the story of the Konoha 11 trying to find the perfect -from their point of view- wedding gift.
- Love Makes You Dumb: When he's around Temari, Shikamaru's brain stops functioning completely, to the point he mistakes her embarrassed blushing for a fever.
- Luminescent Blush: Temari turns bright red when Shikamaru suggest they go inside the inn to check the hot spring together, thinking he wants them to... well, you know. See One Dialogue, Two Conversations bellow.
- Mood Whiplash: Teuchi's chapter is filled with these. From the ramen chef's slly internal monologue about the increasing popularity of narutomaki (or naruto) over seaweed (wakame), to the flashback of the first time he met Naruto, to trying to decide what gift he can offer to the soon-to-be-wed couple.
- Oblivious to Love: Despite the fact that he dreams of Temari when under the Infinite Tsukuyomi, and then has a Love Revelation Epiphany and goes on a date with her during Shikamaru Hiden, Shikamaru goes right back to not understanding that Temari is in love with him and misinterprets all of her emotions. By Gaara Hiden, he seems to have everything figured out as they are getting married.
- One Dialogue, Two Conversations: Shikamaru wants Temari's opinion to decide if a honeymoon in a hot spring is a good idea for a wedding gift to Naruto and Hinata. Unfortunately, he forgets to add the part about Naruto and Hinata, which makes Temari think he's asking her to get married. Hilarity Ensues.
- Parental Substitute: Naruto had always seen Iruka as a father figure, so he asks Iruka to come to his wedding as his father.
- The Rival: Ino and Sakura still act as this, using a cooking contest to determine which one of them is better. In the end, they decide that their rivalry motivates them to improve, so they go wedding-gift-shopping together to find the perfect gift.
- Running Gag: The entire Meat and Steam chapter had Temari thinking Shikamaru was planning their honeymoon and even asking her to have sex with him at a hot spring. He was actually just looking for her opinion for a hot spring for Naruto and Hinata.
- Shipper on Deck: Choji. Choji leaves Shikamaru and Temari alone to go to the hot spring, claiming he has to eat some desert. Shikamaru points out that Choji just ate a mountain of ice-cream. Choji just waves goodbye and vanishes.
- Stealth Insult: Kiba reassures Shino that he's way more good looking than Naruto, although not as much as Kiba and Akamaru. Shino is not certain he should take this as a compliment.
- Stern Teacher: Kurenai is revealed to be one. Even the memory of the harsh training she put Team 8 through by using dizzying Genjutsu makes Shino nauseus.
- Strange Minds Think Alike: Lee and Guy come up with the exact same idea for a wedding gift: dumbbells. Although, unlike Guy, Lee thought it was too weird and tried to find a different gift... only to once again conclude that dumbbells are ideal.
- Supreme Chef: Teuchi considers it his duty to serve a customer only the best ramen.
- Tears of Joy: Iruka is so ovecome by happiness after Naruto asks him to come to the wedding as his father and during the ceremony itself, he's unable to stop his tears.
- Wholesome Crossdresser: Lee puts on a dress and makeup and runs around the village with a dumbbell to see if his gift is indeed perfect for Hinata. It Makes Sense in Context so very much.
- Younger Than They Look: Shino doesn't looks young enough to be called "big brother", according to Mirai. He's very upset she thinks he's old enough to warrant a different greeting from Kiba.