I Hate Being In Pain So I Think I'll Make A Full Defense Build (Itai no wa Iya nano de Bougyoryoku ni Kyokufuri Shitai to Omoimasu in the original Japanese) is a Light Novel written by Yuumikan, illustrated by Koin (also illustrator of Kanokon), and published by Kadokawa Shoten. A manga adaptation started in 2018, and an Anime has been announced for 2020 by Silver Link.
Kaede Honjou is a normal girl that was invited to play the new VRMMORPG New World Online by her friend Risa. And although she doesn't dislike games...she REALLY dislikes being in pain. So she selected her new name, Maple, and dumped ALL of her initial skill points in VIT (Vitality) so that she couldn't feel pain at all. Because of that, her other stats are rock bottom: very low damage, almost no MP, and the speed of a normal human in a world of high-speed players.
But...she acquired two very rare skills: Absolute Defense (as a result of her high VIT points) and Counter Skill (that lets her counter every special attack). Armed with these two skills, she sets to have adventures and fun in this virtual world.
This Light Novel provides examples of:
- Acquired Poison Immunity: Maple invokes this in one boss fight against a poison dragon with a breath attack to develop a higher level of immunity. She then uses this to defeat a poison dragon in an unconventional way.
- Combat Pragmatist: Pretty much necessary for Maple. She uses many skills that poison and paralyze her enemies so that she can have a chance of winning.
- Eating the Enemy: Maple "defeats" some enemies like this, it helps that in New World Online eating an enemy works as a Life Drain.
- Luckily, My Shield Will Protect Me: The main reason for Maple choosing the "Large Shield and Sword" class. Her second shield, as seen in the Light Novel cover, is as big as she's tall.
- Min-Maxing: Maple prefers to invest EVERY skill point she gains in VIT so her other stats are abysmal, but she acquires rare skills and can still defeat enemies by clever use of these skills that take advantage of her VIT.
- No-Sell: As a result of her high VIT, most enemies can't do even Scratch Damage to Maple.
- Shield Bash: Although is not "bashing", it's rather the "falling with the shield above the enemy" bash.
- Stone Wall: Maple is an extremely rare protagonist example of this. The only stat she bothers to improve is VIT, making her almost impossible to defeat conventionally. On the other hand, her attacks are pathetic and she requires a mix of creative thinking and Pragmatism to even deal damage to tougher enemies.
- Wounded Gazelle Gambit: Maple dropped to the floor in her first boss, a Giant Bee...only for her to stab it in the wide open mouth of the bug.